Part substitutions on a Coleman 237?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Parkguy, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Parkguy United States

Hey all, first time posting here.

Recently I acquired a Coleman 237 at a local estate sale that is missing the Vent and globe. I replaced the pump and mantle but have not given it a try nor fueled it up. At the moment I would like to find a vent and globe for it (globe I have seen on Ebay).

I work for the park service and plan on actually using this thing a lot if I can get it going, so originality I don't care for at the moment. It may be taboo, but are there any newer model vents or globes I can put on this that are cheaper and easier to find? I know I can just buy a more modern lantern and call it quits, but I have this one which I think has a really cool look (nickle plated tank or something I believe).

I have heard parts from the 236 will work thanks to a reddit user, but I'm not having much luck in that area either. I also have no idea if this has any life in it so that's another thing to look into. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Toby Garner

Toby Garner United States Subscriber

Unless your looking for the bulged globe look a standard 220 strait sided globe works fine. The 236/237 lanterns used two different vents, what I call a tall vent and a short vent. I'm fairly certain both will work, maybe a different vent stud height to deal with. My guess is a common 220/228 vent could be modified to work also.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

4. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Welcome to CPL @Parkguy

First I would screw down the fuel cap and check for air leaks by submerging the lantern in a bucket of hot water.
    If there are no leaks then pump up the pressure and hear / feel if there is a stream of air coming out of the jet.
    If all is good so far rinse out the tank and fill with fresh fuel.
    Try to light the lantern, you don't need a mantle, globe or hood on to try this.
    If you get this far and have a nice blue flame all is good. If not you have some work to do. :thumbup:

5. Hanzo

Coleman 237's are an easy restore, they were built so well that its almost a guarantee yours will be up and running in no time.

For spare parts I would go to Old Coleman Parts online and type in 237 and all your spare parts including bulge globe will be there for the most reasonable price available.

6. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

NOT always EASY- I found a very nice example of a 7/49 237 at an estate Auction several years ago won the bidding on it & after bidding on a few other items settled my account and went to pick up my spoils, On lifting the foam crate containing the 237 it nearly fell out through the hole it had made in the base of the foam crate (it was a warm day & and the expansion of fuel had cause it to leak & dissolve part of the foam base )
    It has multiple rust holes in base plate

7. Rustytank United States

Graham have you looked into Caswell's fount sealer? I'm not sure if it's available in your area but one seen some really questionable founts put back into service with kerosene.