Penetrating Oil What's Best?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by plantpot, Aug 10, 2019.

1. plantpot

plantpot United States Subscriber

Hi all

One of the chaps on here kindly mentioned home brew penetrating oil, a mix of 50/50 ATF or light cooking oil and acetone.

Well I tried that and found that using light cooking oil, sunflower, mixed with acetone does not mix but the acetone floats on the top of the oil.

tried it with 3 in One oil and the same (I don't have ATF (Auto Trans Fluid I am guessing) It does not mix.

So I can't for the life of me think this could work as it seperates, like oil and water. (perhaps good on a salad????)

I am using 99.9 % acetone.

Any suggestions please? If not what do you use as good penetrating oil?

2. JohanOptimus

JohanOptimus South Africa Subscriber

ATF and acetone definately works.

3. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

@plantpot
    Why do you think that Automatic Transmission Fluid and Cooking Oil would be the same?

Do you not have any car part dealer or gas station near you where you can buy a bottle of ATF.

In any case, there are many different penetrating oils to buy if go for that, 5-56, Rocol to name some.

WD-40 is NOT such!

Michael

4. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I can definitely confirm that a mixture of 50% acetone and 50% ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) works exceptionally well, and is cheap in comparison. Yes it will seperate when on the shelf, but give it a good shake just before using it. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best penetrating fluid that I have ever used.
    Cheers
    Pete

5. plantpot

plantpot United States Subscriber

Thanks folks, I'll try to get some ATF and give it a shot, I was just a bit worried it would not work because of the separation.

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @plantpot

Ensure that you shake your ATF/acetone mix before use. As said above, it works very well.

I also have a commercial penetrating oil - brand name “Penetrene” that works very well.

Cheers

Tony