Petromax 829 generator's base fount nut leaking

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Cesar, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Cesar Chile

Hi everybody, By a big mistake I have released, although only a few degrees, the big nut that is at the base of the generator over fount. Unfortunately now I have a small kerosene leak through that area. I would like to know how to repair this leak. Is this nut originally welded? Or bring another type of seal? Thank you very much for helping.
    20190919_093654.jpg

2. MYN

If the threads are not stripped, a piece of lead washer of the right diametre would do. That's provided you have it.
    Otherwise, some PTFE tape.
    If the threads are damaged beyond repair, just solder the nut piece permanently onto the fount to seal it (since you won't need to remove that in most situations).
    Perhaps some fuel-resistant anaerobic thread sealers or lockers (Loctite, etc) would work as well.

3. Cesar Chile

then, i could unscrew that nut fearless to broke the fount? was it originally welded?

thanks @MYN

4. MYN

Its not welded, brazed or soldered originally. It could be loosened and removed unless it was previously soldered by someone else.
    Caution: The threads are thin, fine and extend only slightly into the fount. Its also easy to damage/strip them if you overtighten.

5. HaakonJ

HaakonJ Subscriber

None of my Petromaxes have a nut at the base of the generator. I have never had any issues with leaks there when removing the generator, and i have never replaced the original lead seal either. Could this nut be an attempt to fix some bad threads, or just someone not knowing what they were doing? I would try to unscrew the generator, remove the nut and reinstall the generator.

Håkon

6. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Not sure we are all referring to the same part. The fitting on the fount where the lower vaporiser screws in, is soldered and if the soldered joint is cracked and leaking, can be resoldered quite easily. Between that fitting and the lower vaporiser, there is a lead seal. If that seal is disturbed, it should be replaced with a new lead seal.
    The captured jamb nut on the upper vaporiser has no seal. The upper and lower vaporiser fit together brass-on-brass. If it leaks there, clean well, check for nicks or marks, and if necessary, anneal the conical end of the upper vaporiser. Use copper bearing grease on the surfaces and threads when re-fitting.

7. Cesar Chile

20190920_090135.jpg
    @HaakonJ @phaedrus42 First, You are very kind to respond, my problem is not in the vaporizer seal, the problem is under the nut where the vaporizer is screwed. My head was somewhere else when I took a wrench 19 and slightly released that nut. Now I have leaks where the arrows indicate in the photograph and I think I should arm myself with courage and completely release that nut to put some kind of seal, which I still do not know. I asked about how it was originally fixed because if it was welded when trying to release it I can cut the fount.

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

That hexagonal bung is soldered to the fount. Quite easy to resolder. Dis-assemble the lamp, remove the lower vaporiser from the fount. Clean very well with alcohol or carburettor cleaner spray, fill fount about 1/3 with tap water, draw a thick wide black circle around the bung with a permanent marker, very close to the hex bung but not touching ( to stop the solder running) , then apply liquid solder flux or rosin paste solder flux into the joint all the way around, heat slowly with a small gas torch flame until solder melts and if needed apply a little electronic solder to the joint. Do not heat too much. You could use an electric soldering iron to help the solder flow evenly in the joint, and just touch the gas flame briefly as needed to keep the area hot enough. Then wash away the resin and marker with carb cleaner spray, examine the joint for defects and voila, leak repaired.

9. MYN

Its a piece of brass bushing, threaded both internally and externally.
    The internal thread takes in the lower vaporizer while the external threads to the fount.
    Its normally soldered onto the fount as well. Some of my Petromaxes have lead washers instead of being soldered permanently. But in my opinion, its best to get it soldered-fixed in place to prevent it from unscrewing-loose.

10. Cesar Chile

First, @phaedrus42 & @MYN , thank you so much, I have followed your instructions to the letter, I have dared and for me it is an achievement, I have put together several lamps for several years with the certainty that one day I could begin to relive them. That wonderful repair or restore therapy that releases stress and makes you forget the problems. And thank you very much to this community of people who always want to help.
    20190920_211726.jpg

11. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

Well performed repair

12. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Congratulations on a very neat repair!

13. MYN

That's neat @Cesar
    Congratulations.

14. HaakonJ

HaakonJ Subscriber

My bad, I hadn't noticed that nut at the base of the generator on my own lamps before. Well done on the repair job!

15. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

@phaedrus42 - Thanks for the tip on how to sort out the hex bung, have one to sort later this week.

16. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Very well said Cesar, I think these lamps act as therapy for a number of us here on CPL....

Stevie

@Cesar

17. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

@Alex Smith, you're very welcome. Always a good feeling when another lamp is saved or can be returned to service :content:

The permanent marker trick comes from the stove forum guys.

18. george

george United States Subscriber

God known we all need therapy!:-#:mrgreen:
    Nice work, Cesar!:D/

19. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

hey George, I guess the therapy is called life and starts with birth.

20. george

george United States Subscriber

Right you are, Wim!;)