Petromax 833 (Tablelamp)

Discussion in 'Table lamps' started by Superman, May 9, 2011.

1. Superman

Petromax this information can not identify the exact version.
    Have been derived from Thai collectors.

No text on the fuel tank. Only the fuel nozzle (P300hk).
    Original parts.

Thank you.
    1304918479-IMG_7021.jpg

1304918508-IMG_7019_resize.jpg 1304918537-IMG_7025.jpg 1304918557-IMG_7027.jpg 1304918797-Picture_086_resize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Doron Papo

Doron Papo

wow thus is an interesting lamp
    does not look like a petromax, is it stamped on the fount?

3. Superman

To Doron Papo.

I think it is Petromax.
    Because the nozzles are marked with P and 300 hk.
    P would be expected from Petromax and related documents as follows.

"No messages in front of anything"

Be happy
    Thank you.

Tony (Superman).

1304928019-IMG_6973.jpg

1304928378-05013b27_resize.jpg Courtesy of Neil McRae Patented 9-4-1921

4. Doron Papo

Doron Papo

wow that was a design I was not familiar with.
    very nice and thank you very much for sharing that unique lamp

5. Superman

My pleasure and thanks.

6. Rer Isi Rer

Woww..Tony...when one sees a lamp which gives that overall impression...there are different ways of looking at that...one is as a unique peice of art...one is as either an experiment or a private individual's prototype....one is as a prepostorous attempt to take money from those who have more of it than they wish to use wisely....one can not say that the lamp is a fake or a forgery due to that not being labelled as a brand name lamp....I ,for example could easily put a px jet on a butterfly lamp,for example...without turning the butterfly into a Petromax...only if I claimed that the lamp was a Petromax would I then be presenting a forgery....without that claim...the lamp would be a peice of fettling...or in the case of yours...a pretty peice of fettling...A lot of us fettlers here in europe love to peice together table lamps ,from plumbing parts,kitchenware and bits of "deceased" lamps...it is very good fun and I myself do the very same....when you do that...you tend to get an eye for spotting things which are not quite right...I could spot part of a cofee machine joined to a far east P'max clone tank with plumbing bits and a pretty gallery...which originated in a modern electrical version of a kero lamp, for example....
    Anyway what's important is how the lamp burns...do you have pics of her burning...and close ups of the pump taken apart and the vapouriser body and the mixing tube/burner dismantled...close up...then some more identifying of parts can occur....many regards..Rer

7. Rer Isi Rer

As regards the paper which purports to be instructions-that I had not seen when I wrote my reply above....I felt stupid and nearly erased my reply....but no...I suspect the paper...I may be wrong....but the paper has several things which are not on petromax paper....One of these is the --STANDARD NUMBERING--of petromax parts....another is the overall presentation, another is themention of patent...In my mind and unless I am making a big fool of myself this shows this to be a money grabbing forgery from an elegant and cheeky group of forgers.....Ask some of the German experts....they shall know definitively!!!!(Or could be another clone also.)

8. Christoph

Hello!!!

This is one of the very first Petromax! Maybe a prototype...

Have a look at this .

It is the original patent paper from 1922!

Best regards

Christoph

9. Rer Isi Rer

This may be one of the very-first Petromax....but then even for a patent -prototype that will have some parts that are recognizable...after all ,to establish the pedigree of a lamp so rare as a prototype from the 1920's...some effort must be made, proof given and so forward....the page of instructions which I saw above does not look right to me(like that was computer -typeset,which is not from the 20's ....and the parts numbering is not what I expect...I may be mistaken but I would like to hear the opinion of some experts in the Petromax marque about this lamp....and the origin of the paper above...

10. Rer Isi Rer

Thank you , Christoph,I looked where you had markedbut I found nothing...maybe you can check the link or put anew link which works...Thanks ,Rer...oh and please understand that I love Petromax lamps a lot! Therefore this lamp interests me....I am also interested in lamp making and forging and thus I am careful of this particular lamp.Anyways, Many regards, Rer

11. Superman

Hello Rer,

Thank you very much for the stories and fascinating history.
    I live in a country which is not initiated or developed many types of lamps.
    Have the opportunity to listen to a lot of information from you and other persons.
    I was impressed and pleased.

The other details I have attached.
    Think that is useful in searching for some history.

Reverential
    Thank you very much.
    1304991983-IMG_6956.jpg 1304992020-IMG_6961.jpg 1304992054-IMG_6970.jpg 1304992128-IMG_6978.jpg 1304992155-IMG_6954.jpg 1304992182-IMG_6984.jpg 1304992232-IMG_6998.jpg 1304992275-IMG_7013.jpg 1304992314-IMG_7009.jpg

12. Superman

Hello Christoph.

Thanks so much for knowledge about this lamp.

Reverential
    Superman.

13. Christoph

Hi Rer,

the link has to be opened in a new window. It doesn't work by opening a new tab.

Regards

Christoph