1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PL53 fettling question

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Apr 13, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I recently got started fettling my PL53. The first thing I tried was investigating whether the pump and vaporiser were working. After giving it a few pumps it became obvious that the vaporiser was totally blocked as when I removed it, fuel bubbled up from the control cock. I could also see that the control mechanism was working perfectly. I heated the vaporiser to cherry red,quenched it and repeated this a few times until gunk began falling out. Then the spring loosened and came out followed by yet more charred remains. After half an hour of this, I finally managed to get air flow through the vaporiser so I renewed the seal and tried a few pumps and sprayed the kitchen with a fine jet of paraffin. So far so good.

IMG_2617.JPG
    My first question is, the hood has a few rust holes. Will this affect the airflow or cause other problems?

My second question is, are the air buttons too corroded to function in their current state (see photos below). I have looked at the burner and removing them without causing considerable damage seems unlikely - not impossible but very time consuming and prone to failure IMO - but what are the chances that I'll get the burner to work as it is?

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Won't be a problem. The burner will work without the hood or air buttons. So long as the air tubes are clear it will work fine. The air tube buttons, globe and hood are merely weather protection. Do not try to unscrew the air tubes. They often get heat damaged with extended use and once removed will not screw back in again. The buttons may be removed with a bit of heat and quench but the way they are is part of the patina of age and use so part of the history of this fine old lantern. ::Neil::

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Thanks Mackburner, I'm glad you said that. The only way I could see of removing the burner was to cut it out but that would have almost certainly wrecked the hood and then all you have left is the tank! If I see an onion globe going cheap I'll get one but for now I'll enjoy it like it is and experience the history.

4. 1956LD1 Ireland

I have a reproduction globe from eBay in mine but it's not that bad, the old rusty hood makes it look better in my opinion. I wire wheeled mine to clean it.

5. george

george United States Subscriber

Clean it up a little and enjoy!:p
    This Tilley PL-53 is the only lantern my wife will let me burn when the windows are shut! She likes the look of it!:mrgreen:
    For some reason you simply can't smell anything when it's burning!:-k