PL53 Tilley ( Pre WWII or Post ) ?

Discussion in 'PL52-PL53-PL54' started by jonathan fairbank, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jonathan fairbank

Hi All,

Unfortunately, I just lost all of an hour of careful photo loading, with my first Tilley PL53 fettle & assy. I loaded 6 good pictures, then the software went ballistic & it all just disappeared on me :-k . Not a pleasant experience, though this fettle was muchly enjoyed.

It's a build, from two Parts PL's I bought from Ebay. The hood/ cowl, came with the second 'buy', & I don't think it's the correct type of top for this 'possible' RAF service lamp. The tank is stamped with some numerals I cannot decipher, so maybe some one could let me know of any dating, from the shot's I'll now load up ?

The Vaporizer is possibly the wrong size, as the majority of the PL53's I managed to refer from, seem to be equip with the longer seven inch vap ?

Looking real healthy' now, I still find it difficult to believe, I turned a two parts finds, into such a 'hip & quirky' looking lamp light.

I hope it's enjoyed, I can't say it's a 'proper or accurate' rendition, but all the work entailed with this re-build, was extremely enjoyable & rewarding.

I keep putting off the first lighting attempt, though I'll possibly just try this, with a test hood & burner . . . .(don't know when though) ?

1398884647-DSCN1691.JPG

Then the unusual 'two part' seam weld, to the tank .. . . .

1398884754-DSCN1694.JPG

1398884800-DSCN1684.JPG

1398884847-DSCN1704.JPG

1398884800-DSCN1684.JPG

1398884881-DSCN1701.JPG

1398885014-DSCN1680.JPG

The tanks on these models are very strong & robust, when I finally got to revealing the steel, behind the dirty grey or blue paint coat, I could then just see how 'special a fettle & polish up', this one would turn out to be.

Cheers :thumbup: ,

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled Jon! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

It should have the 169 vapouriser and in my opinion the hood is earlier than the lamp, but it's difficult to be certain with the wartime lamps, as Tilley were using whatever they could get and what was in the stores to fill their orders, that was because of shortages caused by the war.

I may have seen that double rim before and the number is probably a Tilley registration number.

It's a handsome lamp.

3. jonathan fairbank

Well Jeff,
    I was thinking the tank was maybe older than the hood, as quite the majority of those I saw on sites, seemed to be shown sporting the brown/ red enameled hood. Upon saying that, I still have no real idea or theories; but for sure though, the replacements or straight swap overs, affecting a lamp or lanterns durational use (even given the lean War years/ material shortages) still seems just too difficult to fathom or follow (but hey, that was then, this is now, Coooorhh, what a looker . . . again at last) !

Cheers for info with the Vap's true stats, though the tank's as hard as a butchers dog, it'll be not only marginally safer, fitting a 7" proper, but'll help to make it look 'that bit more taller'; I'll look out for one, I'd prefer the mantle, resting at a more elavated position. :thumbup:

Jon.

4. David

That it one lovely combo.

5. Claus C

Beautyfull Jon :thumbup:

Claus C

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

That number is what remains of the Designs registry number 681681. Dates from around 1923 and was valid for 7 years with an oprion to renew for a further 7 which means it should be stamped on lamps fropm 1923 to 1937 although I suspect it was still on some founts later than that and possibly into the 1940s. ::Neil::

7. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Jon

A nice fettle.

If I remember correctly the "dirty grey of blue paint" would be RAF colours and the steel tank also points to it being of WWII era when brass supplies were erratic to say the least.

Regards, Jeremy

8. jonathan fairbank

Ok Neil,

The info on those 'over stamping numerals', is interesting, & 'yes', that's quite a window of margin to consider (maybe pre-30's, possibly before the out break of WWII & then even maybe into a good part of the 40's).

To understand those numerals (I can see that they are double stamped, one trailing over another below, ect) & my eyesight isn't so bad yet, they might just signify 'in factory personell' or material roll batch's, but they do seem very untidy & vague, as ID !?

I'd not worked that area roughly, so what is there, is just possibly how it left the plant ? It did have a gold or yellow sticker, on the tank, warning of regular fuel rinsings, but I was a bit stroppy' for the fettle, & didn't capture it with the camera. I'll not find out for sure, which isn't disappointing really, I can just admire it & maybe one day, get it running on a burn !(Tops) :p

The 7" vap's are a bit expensive, though I'd consider buying one if it came with a guarantee (no chance...), it looks too scrumpled, as is, so I'll be doing a bit more work, yet.

I've just finished a Sears 7407 double mantle Big Hat, but the new graphite packing still trails out a small bubble leak (very irritating, this). Could it be that the graph will 'swell', on being soaked, with a burn, or should I stop the leak first, 100%; before any lighting attempt ?

This is another subject, so perhaps I'll find out later on ? It's had a new spray job, & I'm anxious to keep it that way . . . .

Cheers,

Regards, Jon.

9. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

That has cleaned up nicely, well done.
    The outward inclined lower handle rods indicate later variant PL53, Likewise GF control cock was used 1940-62, How deep is socket for control cock ? The steel tank I am led to believe was later WW2 40 - 45+ when brass was in short supply.
    The ridge around tank I think was a result of the lead/solder coating of tank running as base was soldered into the tank. G..P

10. jonathan fairbank

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, it was the RAF lamp, I re-call back, that the ebay Seller had mentioned only the possibility of this, in their add. There seemed to be a sort of 'ashen' hue, around the tank but was mainly 'dark', in over all appearance through years of tarnish.

Cheers for the input, I've another to do yet, but think that one's a brass tank (more shine, more shine) :D !!

Regards, Jon.

11. jonathan fairbank

Hi Graham P,

I took some shots of the lamp again, showing the two control cocks. The one on the tank, belongs the PL53 we're on about, the other on the matt, is for another build, I'm yet to start, as I'm knee deep in US lanterns ATM :) .

The only difference between the two, as far as I can see, is the small filter dish plug, showing its more of a knurled circumference, than the one resting lower down (this one's all smooth, possibly a newer design). You will have enough info there, to see its dating, but for sure, the highest stop cock pictured here, is the one that arrived with that tank.

It's looking like it's as you say (& Neil also), particularly given the lower handle rods style, as indication to it being made, Post 1940. Measuring the sockets depth, the way I arrived home, was a non-starter but good estimation can be deduced here, it appears to be the same depth as the X246A's apparatus ?

Here's the pic's, with a few extra's :-

1398992930-DSCN1706.JPG

1398992980-DSCN1707.JPG

:-s "More busy bee work", with the new arrivals . . . .

1398993159-DSCN1708.JPG

Then one into the burner. It can't be seen hardly, but you'd have had a fit, doing what was essential, to get it all threading back together again. I separated it all, by many workings, failures, then lengthy repeat soakings, in old motor oil.

I got the males grooving again, with the tool in the last shot, an excellent hand, it proved to be :idea: .

1398993675-DSCN1700.JPG

"The Stone Slide Key, to an Egyptian Pharaohs Tomb, Wor Danial san" :lol:

1398993920-DSCN1603.JPG

Cheers then,

Jon :thumbup: .

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  12. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Jon

Very nice fettle 8) :mrgreen: :thumbup: , well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup: .

13. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Very nice Jon :clap:

Yes, 'thread files' are a very handy tool indeed :thumbup:

14. jonathan fairbank

He He Stu pot, It just might be, that the burner dome cups, come from thy own extremely useful lantern marketing facility ? he he. Cheers if so, (they're already on the spare burner, polished, primed & ready for a new hood, waiting some where :p ??)....

. ... but, if this a case of mistaken identity (and it could be....), ta very much for the compliment :thumbup: .

I've two fully stripped (of original manufacture) PL53 Hood/ Cowls, I'm busting to get re-enamelled, it'd be handy to know whether this process (when any vent or hood's being re-treated, for that matter) requires two coatings (2 kiln entries), as I'd been reading an article that stipulated paraffin fueled lamps, give the vents more of a hiding, owing to higher temperatures being reached (over white gas) ?

I don't follow this (understand, really); as petrol is more flammable than paraffin, it seems to be contradictory, as petrol surely has a higher flash ceiling or igniting flame, than paraffin ?

OOhppps, I'm off topic, meandering again.. ](*,)

Anyway, thanks, it was a neat fettle, well enjoyed.

Jon :) .

15. jonathan fairbank

Hi Longlilly,

Yes, those thread files are very artistic looking, its a shame they don't chime out "Walk Like An Egyptian", whilst getting into the grooves !

I can hummers like see what's going on though (during the gyrations & all) it's more of a 'feels like it's there', than anything else. The real old air tubes I uncovered, looked like ticker tape; so when they were newly cut, it's a good bet this was occurring, over the skies of Europe.

Link : "Public Service Broadcasting - Spitfire"

Most enjoyable !

The one I'd borrowed for use, was a metric sizer, but it saved me a few steak joints I could eat again :lol: .

Cheers,

Jon.