PL55-GWR

Discussion in 'PL55-PL56' started by Mackburner, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I acquired this as just the tank and handle but from the style of it probably around 1935. Had to rummage around to find period bits so it now has a bayonet type pump and a late 30s valve.

The hood is another matter though. I got this recently from the Radstock pile. Roger was fond of it and it got trotted out for me to wonder at whenever I vistited him. So not a standard fitting on this lamp and probably older. So far it is the only example I know of with globe screws and a hinged top which looks to be factory made as there is no sign of any previous cowling. ::Neil::

1449580270-Til_PL55-GWR_01.jpg

1449580288-Til_PL55-GWR_02.jpg 1449580310-Til_PL55-GWR_03.jpg 1449580333-Til_PL55-GWR_04.jpg 1449580357-Til_PL55-GWR_05.jpg 1449580374-Til_PL55-GWR_06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

:-k What would be the function or advantage of a hinged top?

3. george

george United States Subscriber

The reason for the hinged hood, could be to let some of the high heat out when you set the lantern down. This is only a guess. The G W R on the rim of the tank, does it stand for "Great Western Rail"?? I'm not too good on UK rail lines so this is just a guess.. Love the lantern though!

4. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Is a strange idea dave cannot think of a reason myself the top reminds me of a primus no 5 windshield I used to have once
    not saying its anything to do with primus tho
    cheers pete

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

It is an odd feature. Maybe to place a pot on although that would restrict the air flow I would have thought. It is real though because there are no marks of any previous cowl on the top. Has to be old as well with screws to hold the globe. Not sure when Tilley did that but I guess the 1920s.

GWR is indeed Great Western Railway. It is a bit battered which shows it was used for many years I guess and the dents are part of its history. Rare thing too because it is only the second I have ever found in 50 years of collecting and a lot of collectors never find one.

::Neil::

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A great find indeed! :thumbup:

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes, I had exactly the same thought. But as Neil says, it's definitely an original feature - there are no signs of rivet holes for the other side and there's the peg the top will spring against to hold it in place.

I'd imagine it's from a period when Tilley were trying out new ideas to improve their products without undue expense. That might explain why this is a rare and unusual feature i.e. no perceptible benefit for extra cost so it was quickly discontinued.

I've a similar GWR lantern which also has an unusual top. Nowhere near as nice, though...

http://0flo.com/index.php?posts/1963

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  8. Graham P Australia

Just spotted this advert while looking for another Item. http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/2607
    Hood globe screws look right

9. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

Neil

Is it possible that both non-enamelled parts (i.e. the ring as well as the hinged bit) have been fitted to a cut-down Tilley hood? I did something like this to a FL5 that had lost its top.