Please ID this Bialaddin lamp?

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by robgil, Jun 16, 2016.

1. robgil

I'm thinking about buying this, can anybody Id it please? Also, what am I looking at to restore and get it running? Is that an alloy tank?

1466096756-57614b8c22ccb-1476_7.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Scouter Bill

Scouter Bill Subscriber

Looks to me to be a Bialaddin 300x

3. robgil

I was thinking it might be, did they have alloy tanks?

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes, a Bialaddin 300X from the late 40s or early 50s, judging by the colour - burgundy tank and red hat.

Without actually dismantling it, it's impossible to say what it needs to get it running. Budget on having to buy a new vapouriser and set of seals. It looks to be complete but all parts are easily available if anything's missing. They're just about the easiest of lanterns to get up and running - nothing difficult, fiddly or easily broken in there, just good, solid, British (over-)engineering. :thumbup:

It will have a brass tank. What you see around the base is typical and is some sort of tinning.

If I was just starting out, I'd buy it as long as the price was right. Hope that helps...

5. robgil

Thanks, that's all good to know, I read that the wicks for the pre heaters contain asbestos, is this true?

6. expat

The older ones yes - it's not a problem if it's not disturbed. If you are worried, soak it in water & remove wet and get a fibreglass or kevlar replacement.

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Once they have been properly restored Bialaddin / Vapalux / Imber Research products are good reliable work horses! :thumbup:

They were all made by Willis & Bates in Halifax in Yorkshire, once in a while one will turn up with stress cracks along the bottom rim of the tank.

8. David Shouksmith

I know what you mean, Jeff, and I agree - except I wouldn't be using Imber Research stuff as a workhorse! Perish the thought. =;

The occasional light-up maybe... :thumbup: :D/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello David, that's a good point! :thumbup:

10. robgil

Thanks guys, the hammer fell at £18, with a bit of luck I got a bargain. I did have a look around it the other day but wasn't really interested enough to give it a proper once over. I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll post some pics up.

11. David Shouksmith

Good stuff! Stick the plate and wooden box thingie back into the auction and you might even manage to offset some of your costs!

12. Derek

Derek Subscriber

That wash-bowl looks Victorian, some fine transfers on it. Looks like the Headland Hotel Newquay:
    https://www.newquay.co.uk/listing/the-headland-hotel/

13. David Shouksmith

Fawlty Towers? Oh, no - that was Torquay, not Newquay... :lol:

14. robgil

It could well be, how posh! :lol:
    I wont find out until Monday now though, they closed early today and I didn't make it on time.

15. robgil

Just a thought, is this a Vapalux 300x rather than a bialaddin 300x?

16. David Shouksmith

Bialaddin between 1946 and 1968...

17. robgil

Cool, its home.
    It looks to be in great shape, the top is in really good condition, vaporiser looks good, I can see the pricking needle popping up when I turn the cock, no dents anywhere, it hasn't been used for quite some time.
    Inside the tank is a mess, the pump leather cup fell apart when I touched it, I quickly disposed of the pre heater wick, the burner looks Ok but some parts were loose so I tightened them back up.
    Glass is all Ok, control cock is stiff.

So, I'll strip it down completely and give it a good clean to get a better idea of what it needs, but so far I'm looking at a new wick, seals, pump cup (will a tilley fit?) and a mantel, with a bit of luck the vaporiser will be Ok.

The paint might be saved if I'm lucky, I'll try some car polish, if not it shouldn't be too hard to repaint it. The brass should clean up nicely.

Any tips on cleaning out the tank?

I'll post some pics up when they load up to photobucket.

Oh, and the bowl is indeed from the hotel mentioned above, its also in pretty good shape.

18. robgil

19. David Shouksmith

That red hat is awfully black! Still, no matter if it's in good order. The lantern looks pretty good all round - well done! :thumbup:

Ooh, Photobucket... :-$ [-X

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  20. Derek

Derek Subscriber

Nice original patina. A repaint? It's your lamp.

21. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I'd start by giving that tank a good T-cut. It's fairly quick and you may be pleased with the results. If not you can then repaint.

22. robgil

I have some Autoglym Super Resin Polish so I'll give that a whirl, it is very badly oxidised, after washing in soapy water it came out pink.

23. Claus C

Does there exist known factorymade hybrids between the vapalux 300X and the Bialaddin 300X. I have seen more than one vapalux 300X with a Bialaddin 300X-tank that is :?:

Claus C

24. robgil

Would the tank colour be a RAL colour? Being 1940's to 1960's it should be, shouldn't it?

25. David Shouksmith

None that I can see although maybe there's more to this RAL thing than Google throws up.

Someone here had the colour mixed up although it looked a little bright to me compared with my mint(ish) example. It's always difficult/impossible to compare colours from monitors with real life, though...

This is mine:-
    http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/1255
    and I see someone recommended Rover 'Damask Red'. There are others you can look at in the same sub-forum including Steve's (Shedman) which is the one that looked a bit bright to my eyes...

BTW, maroon tank with black hood seems to be the earliest version of the Bialaddin 300X predating the maroon / red hat versions... :thumbup:

26. robgil

With a bit of luck I wont have to paint it, it wont be mint but it wont be awful either.

One thing I did notice in an online book was the pump and filler cap left unpainted, which is why I thought it might be a Vapalux.

http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/946

I'm going to order up the parts to get it running this week end, this should give me enough time to clean it up first.

I also think the Rover Red is a little light but apparently the Maroon colour changed shades over the years anyway, of course there is the issue of undercoat, paint fade through time and paint types that will all change the colour somewhat.

27. robgil

Does this have a large or small filler cap?

28. David Shouksmith

That's a large one (inch and a quarter) as opposed to a small one (1")...

29. robgil

Cool , thank you. I'm still cleaning it up but it will need a rebuild kit.
    The paint is badly worn , but its staying, its an old lamp and I quite like it looking like an old lamp. The brass cleaned up Ok but its going to be an outdoor lamp for the garden so that will soon dull down again, I have to say it is starting to look rather nice. :D/

30. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I hope by that you mean it will be used outside but stored in a dry shed when not in use. :D