Polish

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Gareth Shepherd, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Gareth Shepherd

Gareth Shepherd United Kingdom Subscriber

I cleaned my recent purchase of a nice gold x246b, however, I've left some swirl markes on the tank. I was wondering what polishes poeple use? Or if anyone can recomend any products in the UK. Thanks in advance 20191201_140626.jpg

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Just to be clear, the tank/fount is painted... is that correct? If it is, I'd be careful polishing it any more as you may make the swirls worse. You might try a gentle wax based polish to cover the marks and leave it at that.

3. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Yes, I'm with Colin, just carefully wax polish and leave it. Its looking very good now, just need to see it lit up :D/
    Cheers
    Pete

4. MYN

If its paint, I wouldn't use polish. Just some Auto wax at most.
    If the Tilley's speculum-plated, perhaps gently with the usual Autosol, fine 'Mothers' or any reputed Auto polishes.
    If the paint's bad or peeling, then either just a clean-up or strip and recoat.
    But if you've decided to polish a compromised plated fount down to the base metal such as brass, some coaser steel wool or not-too-coarse sanding pad/sponge, wet-worked for plating removal, subsequently followed by finer grades till you get the finish want.
    Electrolysis might be less labourious if you have the setup.

5. george

george United States Subscriber

I agree, just light application of auto wax and leave it alone. I think it looks good!