Post Fettle Beer

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Johnny19, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Johnny19 United Kingdom

Not normally into canned beer, but this is a good one or two after a days fettling!

B11.jpg

2. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I shall be lightin up shortly and drinking my local brewery "loud shirt" tiined beer. Although I am close enough to have my own pipline put in.. (now there's a thought):-k

3. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

Every beer tastes 10 times better after a successful fettle, especially a hard and long one!

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I miss the Hogs Back Brewery. We used to live close and where I used to work in Tongham was a short walk up the road! They sometimes used to sell bottles and cases off cheap! Blooming amazing, unfortunately I'm now 600 miles away! Scottish beer is ok but nothing like as good as T.E.A or O.T.T!

5. Johnny19 United Kingdom

Yes hogs back was good stuff!

6. Matty

I'll drink to that.

Rightly or wrongly, I have a belief that the Gentlemen from the UK and assorted neighbours tend to like their beer warm. I don't know if by warm that means at room temperature or just warmer than how most Australians prefer their beer, icy cold.

I've been on many fishing trips and other outdoor activities where the beer is less than icy cold and of course, like everyone else, I've drunk it. 'Prefer' is the operative word.

I have seen UK visitors in a pub with both hands around their glass, I believe, in an attempt to warm the beer.

This is a serious question. Is it usual for UK beer drinkers keep their beer in a fridge at home or is it kept somewhere outside of a fridge? I'm talking about beer drunk at home.

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Speaking for myself, and I’m quite common (!), lagers get chilled but bitter and other ‘brown’ beers don’t.

Incidentally, a post-beer(s) fettle is best avoided I’ve found.

8. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I'm with @presscall. Well said John.

@Matty

Let's not forget that the word "warm" is comparitive. Here in the North of England, a winter's day may be described as "warm" but it's still "colder" than a "cool" day in summer. Similarly with "room temperature". I'm sure an Eskimo accustomed to the "room temperature" of his igloo would be uncomfortably hot in my larder, a room against an outside wall which apart from two weeks each side of the summer solstice, gets no sun.
    It's only foreigners used to consuming liquid so ridiculously cold that the only thing preventing it from being solid is the alcohol content who "think" the British like their beer "warm".
    Another thing to consider is terminology, we say beer but do we mean "beer" or "lager" a relatively modern (19 century) invention ? They are two different drinks and because of it's nature, lager needs to be served at a cooler temperature than beer in order to bring out the flavour whereas the flavours of many beers are diminished when served "too cold".

9. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Me too, with @presscall.

When I lived in the Far East with sweltering summers, a cold lager beer was the only remedy. It was during these younger days I first came across Corona (beer, not virus!). Back in the UK it’s room temperature bitter.
    Having said this, I do occasionally have a chilled lager or two during the fleeting warmth of a Highland summer.

I grew up in a garage with a petrol forecourt on the top of a windswept hill. In winter we drank coffee with a shot of rum in it to help us feel better when working the petrol pumps. I wonder what health and safety would have to say about that?

In the evening I’ll have a coffee with a very liberal shot of Baileys....

10. Johnny19 United Kingdom

I'm not a lager drinker, but admittedly I like the Cruz Campo when in Spain. I like the real ale type beer, and if its a hot day at a bbq I will drink a chilled blond ale, but not ridiculously cold.