Poultry House 1923-1931

Discussion in 'E20' started by candlepower, Sep 7, 2017.

1. candlepower

Poultry House lantern has no built in pump so must use an external pump to pressurize it.

Could not see the main selling point on the lantern, which says, "the hens that lay are the hens that pay" so I re-stenciled it. Lit lantern picture shows the faint "before stenciling" lettering.

Interesting note, the lantern was pierced by a curved farm implement, possibly a curved hoe which was repaired by the farmer. This is seen at the center of the lantern, and a bulge on the left side shows where the farm implement almost went out that side. Just needed to replace the generator to make lantern work again. I found this at an antique store in my home town and it didn't cost much.

A simple search on the web showing pictures or mentions of poultry lanterns vs. the desirable Coleman Arc lanterns shows that the poultry lantern is found 3 times fewer in number than the Arc lantern.

Thank you for looking. Wish you English could find these to fettle, swishing around almost a gallon of vinegar to clean the inside font out, either tires you out or toughens you up!!

lit poultry 1064 resized.jpg poultry lantern in corner1064 resized cropped.jpg

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Nice work with the re-stenciling. Re the repair, a steel fount would take some piercing by a hand held implement even if done intentionally and even if the implement were on a tractor, surely the lantern would have been pushed (or dragged) across the ground before piercing the fount. Might it be the case that someone was aiming at "vermin" but missed and and shot the lantern instead ?

Henry.

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Candlepower, that is a very quirky lantern :thumbup:. Nice work getting it going.
    Does it hold a gallon of fuel or more to fill it?

4. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes these were never sold in the UK and it is one lamp I still don't have. They will hold about a US gallon and run for about 50 hours. The idea is to extend "daylight" and thereby increase egg production. The big tank meant it would run for 24 hours without re pumping so needed less attention than a regular lantern. ::Neil::

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A good find and it's working well!:thumbup::thumbup: