Primus 1050

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by LanternTom, Oct 2, 2018.

1. LanternTom

LanternTom United States Subscriber

I have my Primus 1050 torn down and cleaning. I rebuilt the check valve and put back in. I pressurized the tank about 25-26 pumps. There is some fuel in the tank also. I removed the generator and opened the valve and preheater also. I got just air. Shouldnt i have gotten some fuel bubbling with the air at the top of the valve where the generator goes? Does it need a lot of pressure for the preheater torch? Is there a way to clean the fuel pickup tube n the tank?

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Unfortunately there are two 90 degree bends for the fuel feed through the valve, so you can't unblock the valve manually. Try blowing compressed air back through the valve. If it goes through then it's not blocked. If that's alright then another possibility is that there could be a hole in the fuel feed tube. If that's the case then it's major surgery. For the adventurous, the valve fitting can be unsoldered from the tank, but remember to note the position so it can go back the same way.

3. LanternTom

@Nils Stephenson

Whats the chances of having a hole in the fuel feed tube? Is there a higher chance that the fuel fees tube is blocked?

4. LanternTom

@Nils Stephenson

Should I take a compressed air gun and put it to the top of the valve, where the generator goes, and give it a shot of compressed air?

5. Nils Stephenson

Give it a go with compressed air. There is nothing you can break with it. :) Hopefully you get the air coming out the filler hole. If the air goes through but there is still no fuel coming through the valve when it is pressurised, then there must be something wrong with the feed tube. That's not something I have heard of before, but there is always a first time. I have heard of removing the valve on these tanks, but have never done it myself.

6. LanternTom

7. Nils Stephenson

Well professional implies that you get paid, so I'll send you my bill. ;) :)