Primus 1060 Lantern

Discussion in '1060' started by Norman, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi there folks,

I was able to acquire a Primus 1060 with the help of one of your members, @Nils Stephenson. We did some horse swapping because he needed some items and I wanted a Primus 1060. The Primus 1060 is basically a Coleman 236. Primus contracted with Coleman to make the 1060.
    The 1060 run on Coleman fuel and I'm unsure why Primus didn't go with the Coleman 237 which runs on kerosene. After all there are only minor differences between the 236 and 237. Both the 236 and 237 use the same burner assembly and both put out 500 C.P.

When I got my Primus 1060 I tried to do a kerosene conversion but was unsuccessful.

So I removed the 1060 control valve assembly and compared it with the 237 control valve assembly and found both have the same thread pattern so I decided to install the 237 control valve assembly with very good results.

Here are the before pictures.
    DSC08369.JPG DSC08370.JPG DSC08371.JPG DSC08372.JPG DSC08373.JPG

Here you will see the differences between the 1060 control valve assembly and the 237 control valve assembly. 1060 on the left and 237 on the right. You will notice both control valve assemblies have the same thread pattern for the fount.
    DSC08399.JPG DSC08400.JPG DSC08401.JPG DSC08402.JPG

It was a real pain in the arse to remove the 1060 control valve assembly that is for sure so before I installed the 237 control valve assembly I used some bronze anti seize on the threads. I use the bronze anti seize on all of the control valve assemblies I remove and reinstall because it makes it much easier to remove it the next time and also it does help to seal the threads.
    DSC08415.JPG DSC08403.JPG

Here is the after pictures.
    DSC08404.JPG DSC08405.JPG DSC08410.JPG

I decided to use an Egret ART. No. 4D 500/600 C.P mantle.
    DSC08407.JPG

Here are the action shots. The first 2 are taken in the darkest room in the house during the day so please forgive the toilet picture in the background.
    DSC08408.JPG DSC08409.JPG

This lantern is pretty bright during the day also. I let the lantern run for several hours today and I may fire it up tonight for some night shots.
    DSC08411.JPG DSC08412.JPG DSC08413.JPG

The 1060 lanterns tends to be on the thirsty side with Coleman fuel, but it should be a bit more on the thrifty side running on kerosene.

Some with ask why do I do these conversion and for me I just prefer kerosene because in the long run it is a much safer fuel to use.

I hope you enjoyed the presentation.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. Norman

Here are some night shots.
    DSC08428.JPG DSC08429.JPG DSC08430.JPG

Cheers,
    Norman

3. Titoo

Titoo France Subscriber

Hi Norman,

A great post pictures :thumbup:
    A great lantern and super job :clap:
    Whoo very bright :thumbup:
    For my all lanterns i utiliz: MOLYKOTE HSC Plus Past from DOWN CORNING with very good result.

Regards,
    Titoo.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup::thumbup:

5. MYN

The 236 and 237 are well made lanterns. I believe the same can be said of the Primus 1060. Well done, @Norman .
    I didn't know that the Primus has the same threads as the Colemam on the fount. From my rather limited experience with the Primus, I found that they use Whitworth threads. Whereas, on the Coleman, the threads are mostly(if not entirely), the Unified and US- national standard threads(UNC, UNF, UNS, NPS, etc).
    I was having some parts machined out of brass as replacements for those missing on my Coleman 237 earlier. There are quite some number of threads that are special in which the dies and taps are not readily available(if available at all). Therefore, I had to get the threads done directly on the thread-making lathe.
    Pretty tedious as I had to make some drawings with dimensions as close to the oriiginal parts as I could so that the machinist could proceed the work on those.

6. Norman

@MYN

In general you would be correct because Primus has a different thread for the fuel tank or fount.

The only difference between the Coleman 236 and the Primus 1060 is the Primus fuel tank.
    From the pickup tube to the top of the lantern is all Coleman.

Coleman made a lot of stoves and lanterns for different Companies such as Sears and Montgomery Wards. The Company name was stamped on to the stove or lantern, but what is proprietary to Coleman stayed the same and this includes thread patterns. It is the same for Primus.

Cheers,
    Norman