Primus Hovik Verk 1082 useless blanking plug leaking

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Piotrek, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Piotrek

Piotrek Poland Subscriber

Dears,
    Can anybody advice how to seal/tighten the Primus Hovik Verk 1082 useless blanking plug (where the quick starter for the 1084 would be)? This is what I learnt, but I do not know how this is built, how to dismantle and repair it. That plug leaks air. It seems that I can turn it around, even both sides, but it does not tighten or unsrew. When I turn the screw head the "ring" below it turns as well.
    This is such a simple and super quality lantern, hope I have not messed it up already...
    Help please
    Piotrek
    IMG_20231214_225945248.jpg IMG_20231214_230022685.jpg

2. MYN

You have another nice lantern there.
    I think the soldered joint under the ring or port has already given way. You might need to eventually resolder it in place first. Otherwise, you would not be able to loosen the plug from its threads.
    Others might have perform this in the past. They might want chime -in to advise.

3. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

As MYN has said, the solder joint for the ring has given way. Originally it would have been soldered in place from the inside, but it can be repaired by soldering around the outside. Everything has to be clean first and use a good flux. We are talking about ordinary lead solder here.

The blanking plug is sealed by a lead washer, so this will most likely have been ruined in the process, unless you can get the plug out first. Not a problem as a new washer can be obtained or made.

4. Piotrek

OK, thanks a lot Guys. Your knowledge and kind advices are invaluable.

Do You know if it is possible to remove the whole thing from the tank? That would make cleaning, soldering and washer replacement much easier. I do not know how it is fixed from inside and afraid to use force.

Greetings from Poland,
    Piotrek

5. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

I have never seen the inside of one of these tanks, but if it is like other lamps, the inside edge is crimped in place. That means it can't come out, without doing a lot of damage. Cleaning where the solder has to go will be a challenge. :(

6. Piotrek

Thank you Nils. Most likely the lead washer is still OK (it was stronger then soldered connection), so new soldering has to be just air tight, and not necessary very strong.
    We will se...

7. Fireexit1 United Kingdom

I would use pump pliers or mole grips with a strip of leather to grip the spinning boss (ring) and with a spanner to take out the blanking plug.
    Once that is out of the way clean as best you can - and like others have said use solder and plenty of flux. Wash the flux off afterwards. Be careful to not overheat as you have other soldered joints nearby. Direct any flame away from the other joints, and work quickly. The advantage of removing the blanking plug first is that it will soak up heat, delaying your ability to solder, while the heat spreads to places you do not want it.
    Good luck !

8. Piotrek

Dears,
    Some update regarding sealing Primus Hovik Verk 1082 blanking plug. As I am avoiding soldering as much as possible then decided to try epoxy first.
    15ml Caswell gas tank epoxy sealant inside, tank upside down (in position where the plug is the lowest) and after 24h it was done. After treatment the tank keeps pressure, no visible traces at all so I can recommend to try that method in similar cases.
    The downside is that the dedicated epoxy incl. shipping from USA to Poland was more expensive then the whole lantern, but there is still epoxy left for other projects.
    Please find below link to movie where I learned about that particular epoxy that is dedicated to gas, kerosene stoves and lanterns:
    Saving a Bad Lantern Fount with Caswell Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer (youtube.com)

all the best,
    Piotrek

Caswell.jpg

9. Fireexit1 United Kingdom