Propane tank too long for my lantern

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Barry Lecount, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Barry Lecount United States

BFA4DF15-9C86-4456-AD12-AE6B87ADADA0.jpeg Hello I just purchased a bernz-o-matic tx700 that I want to use with my antique camper. the problem is all the new 14.1 oz propane cylinders are about a 1/2 inch longer then the one that came in it, and I don’t see a way to make any adjustment to compensate for that 1/2 inch. Is there a way to adjust it or a place to get shorter tanks?

BF6EE91C-1C89-40AB-8DB5-9177D7382533.jpeg

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Welcome to the forum. Your lantern looks to be in very good condition and I'm sure it will compliment your camper.

I can't help you with the gas canisters but I'm sure one of your fellow countrymen will be able to offer good advice.

3. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Not much about it on the internet but without owning or seeing one - from the pictures it looks like you could extend the pipe. You could ask in a place that does hydraulics for plant machinery. Or look at rubber gas hose ?

4. Fireexit1

Looking at on a big screen and comparing it to others on the internet I can see that the pipe is swaged where it goes into the valve/connector that screws into the gas bottle. It looks similar to hydraulic (brake) pipe. A truck garage may also be able to help there. You can re-use the threaded nut that you have already if you can get the right pipe/swaging done.
    the other end of the pipe should have some sort of threaded ring on it - based on other pictures. I am not sure how this connects. I will be nice to see it once you have fixed it up !

5. Rangie

Rangie United States Subscriber

Me being me, I would make a brass extension and silver solder it into the feed tube.

There may be other work-arounds however.

Alec.

6. Fireexit1

Yes I thought of that but don't know how the pipe connects at the top. If it is already soldered it may be tricky due to the very short length there already. However all this is conjecture from 3926.14 miles away !:lol:

7. Blueflame Canada

I have not heard of the new bottles being longer but I have heard that the new bottles are fatter than the original. Maybe you should ask on the Coleman collector's forum. Lots of non Coleman items are presented there.

The Coleman Collectors Forum - CCF

8. Barry Lecount United States

Here are some better pictures of the fittings

Attached Files:

9. Fireexit1

So it looks like the short end of the bent pipe has some sort of jet in it. That limits your options a little. Well that's the bit that needs to get longer somehow. Or you could look at extending the pipe further upstream but that might upset the gas flow a little as it is after the jet.

10. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

Some people might investigate the unsafe practice of refilling the short cylinder

11. Thomas

Thomas Subscriber

Check your cylinder it should have a tin disk on the bottom to allow it to stand up straight, i know from dropping these tanks it not hard to dislodge and that might give you enough room to squeeze it in. I measured the tanks I have and they are all 10 7/8" 20211015_203945.jpg 20211015_204121.jpg

12. Barry Lecount United States

Thanks for all the great advice