Pump clamp washer for Tilley X246B

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Macaroon, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Macaroon

Hello, I have just replaced the pump clamp washer with one from an eBay seller Juliands kit. It seemed to be a poor fit and is leaking paraffin at this point. Are there different sizes available, have I bought the wrong one? Also the pump leather from the same kit appears to be useless, even after soaking in oil. It was very hard, the oil softened it but it is less effective than the old one at building pressure!

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

As far as I know, there is only one size of pump clamp washer. I assume you made sure that all traces of the old washer were removed you could try polishing both mating surfaces (the rim of the boss and washer seat) with 0000 gauge wire wool. Also, try screwing-in the pump very firmly to ensure the washer is seated perfectly.
    As for the leather, try massaging the oil in rather than just letting it soak.

Henry.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:
    Seal and washer kits are available from the Fettlebox on this website.

4. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

@Macaroon welcome to CPL. The kit from Juliands is correct for your lantern. Possibly a cleaning issue as Henry stated. You could also turn it round and try reseating it.

@Henry Plews, sorry to be a pain in the bum but I always understood there were two types of pump clamp washer although I have no idea what the difference is: Tilley lamp spares
    154 type 1 and 154.

Hope this helps and not confuses the issue.

Regards Jeremy

5. Macaroon

Thanks for the replies, welcome and help guys, much appreciated! I guess I'll persevere a bit longer to solve the leak then. I'll try the extra cleaning and reversing the washer.
    As for the pump cup it's incredibly thin and flimsy compared to the original that I unfortunately chucked out, seems to disintegrate when you touch it!

6. X246A

@Macaroon

If the quality of the leather is suspect try contacting Julian, he is a nice chap,

Regards, Jeremy

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@X246A

Not a pain in the bum at all. Even after all these years of collecting / fettling Tilley lamps, I never realised there were two different 154 pump clamp washers.

Everyday is a school day.

Henry.

8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nor me. 50 years in and still learning. ::Neil::

9. X246A

Now the question arises, what is the difference?

Regards, Jeremy

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @X246A, @Mackburner, @Henry Plews & @Macaroon

As far as I can tell, there are two types of (different sized) Tilley pump clamp washers.

The ‘old’ Part 154 washer that fits the ‘pork pie’ X246 (and also, for example the 136 and the 106); and the ‘new’ Part 154 washer that fits the post ‘pork pie’ X246, X246A and X246B pumps.

Cheers

Tony

11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, there'll be different ones for the male and female pump threads, I'd have thought but I dunno, really - I haven't had much cause to consider it, I suppose...

12. Tony Press

@David Shouksmith

Interesting... let’s see where this leads. I’m sure others will chime in.

I was just working off my experience of fettling Tilley X246s and similar Tilley tank/pump combinations that required Part 154.

Cheers

Tony

13. Macaroon

@Tony Press Thanks, maybe I have an old part 154 though I'd have thought that these would be less common than the new one.

I'm still waiting to hear from Julian, hopefully he'll be able to clear it up.

14. Tony Press

@Macaroon

I'm not in a position (until tomorrow) to do the measurements, but I expect that the "old" Part 154 was of a wider diameter that the "new" 154.

Cheer

Tony

15. Macaroon

Ah ok, thanks for that Tony

16. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Not to disagree with anything that has gone before but..
    My X26B pumps and washers have been strange. There is some kind of double thread effect as far as I recall.
    I don't have one with me now to experiment but the pump body and tube and the upper ring you see from outside have
    "relationships" as far as I recall. Get the tube and body assembled tight with the ring and the whole lot screws in and out of the tank as an assembly without problems. Get that wrong and it leaks pressure and you don't know why.

There could be different washers - but that is how it was for me. The washer was fine - assembly was not.
    Good luck with.