Questions about fixing a Radius 119

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Stovie21, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Stovie21

Stovie21 United States Subscriber

OK so I’m pretty new to fettling the Swedish lamps, but very very familiar neither Coleman,… so I’m calling on the master fettlers out there in the Swedish Radius realm of fettleship, ;) lol
    I might just need a novice but I don’t think so. Here we go well doing heart surgery on my a radius 119 and when I remove the generator there is multiple all I can call him as a lead donut/gaskets as seen in the picture one on top of the other smashed on top of the other etc. until you finally get down to the last one when you lift that one you can see the eccentric block with the threads for the generator rod.
    My question is should these be in here?? should I leave any of them??
    I am well a custom to lamps needing a gasket however I am a bit confused on how these of it together and why there is so many should I remove them all and use one of these aluminum washers that I bought off of a well-known eBay seller from the UK? Advice would be appreciated as I am also running this on alcohol with the conversion kit on the generator so I want to make sure it seals it has been running pretty well but due toNeeding to clean it up well dismantling further than I did when I first got it I’ve run into this and don’t want to put it back together oh Hinky Dinky I you needing to clean it up well dismantling further than I did when I first got it, I’ve run into this and don’t want to put it back together oh Hinky Dinky I know a lead gasket would probably be best but these are such a strange shape somebody out there must know….:/
    Sidenote the last lead washer is still in the valve body you can see me holding it with tweezers to take the picture and in another picture you see the aluminum washers that I purchased fit very nicely in the groove on the generator however I don’t know if they belong is in there I can find no instructions no information to help remedy this maybe I am Computer illiterate or maybe it’s just not there either way help is needed desperately before I can continue with the lamps heart ❤️ surgery :)
    I’m sure thank you all for your help cheers Joshua

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2021
  2. Stovie21

I Just added a photo found in Beau Raymond awesome library however it is so big and small and even according to some master fiddlers there is no gasket there however I would have to beg to differ is anyone willing to figure this one out with me?

Attached Files:

3. Stovie21

What is this in real life? Any pictures anyone? Or does it look like the mangled lead donut thing i had a total of 4 stacked and framed in the

Attached Files:

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  5. Stovie21

Hey thanks for the info however if you look at my photos above that info was already in there and circled therefore I am still at a loss as those numbers are of course invalid and nobody seems to have a part number that is viable weather in USA or abroad I’ve even tried some of those German site so I can’t pronounce but I’m sure you know what starts with like an Fogas Etc. so if anybody or you happen to know a viable obtainable part number I would be elated to hear if not my question it’s still being challenged and I ask for any other advice from others or Tony thank you kindly you guys are awesome

6. Stovie21

And by the way the pictures are in my reply is right below my original post as I couldn’t edit it properly on my phone so I had to reply to my own post before anybody else replied you were the first to Tony Press

7. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

The black object Youre holding on pic2 should not be there as I can recall. Guess its som kind of sealing tape clogged there.

The pics here are from 2019 when I fettled one.

Collage 2019-05-13 20_19_29.jpg IMG_20191130_192952.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Stovie21

hello and thank you! yes there were 4 in total stacked on top of each other, ,i would pull one out carefully and then anther would be there i was going nuts!!!
    so now i finally down to the eccentric block and cleaned out all the threads and such and did a test fit/seal of the generator generator and it leaked bad from the generator nut, so i do believe it takes a gasket as shown in picture ill attach, however its so hard to see and so impossible to find its shape i am not sure what to do.....
    any suggestions??

as well in the diagram attached to this message you see i circled 2 different gaskets, the one on the right translated to 'Aluminum to the Carburetor" So i imagine one of the aluminum cone gaskets i bought from a eBay seller in the UK and shown in a photo in my first post would go there but idk....see female threaded but generators online plus they are not the same as i ordered one and can compare side by side, let alone it would not fit as it is opposite what the nut a Radius has
    i dont have spare generators and dont want to ruin this one as they are male thread and i only

and the one on the left says " At the oil house"?? what does that mean lol we need some native Sweeds desperately and BO Rynman is a busy guy so anyone else?

Thank you all

9. Stovie21

I would habe thought this would habe been moved to the master fettlers forum but the moderators moved it to this forum I’m sure somebody knows it looks like your radius 119 has a different generator than mine therefore it seems to seat differently with out a gasket. and with those diagrams being awesome as they are (thank you Bo”) they are so vague as in you can’t really translate that into a modern piece I’ve tried every site I know of, what can you do….

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Stovie21

It's hard to see and I thought it was a single lead washer, but the catalogue said aluminium . I'm not sure how thick it is.

20210721_162848.jpg 20210721_162854.jpg

11. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

@Matti Kucer
    The second picture you show is of a Primus 1020 tank, so not relevant for the 119 fettle.

@Stovie21
    The only thing that should be under the vapouriser (generator in American) is an aluminium gasket. It does work with a lead gasket, but the original was aluminium. There should only be one of these gaskets.

12. Stovie21

Thank you for the reply,can let me know if they look correct,
    OK i see so one aluminum washer, i am assuming its conical in shape, the washer that is? or is it flat? iill add a picture of the aluminum washers i bought form Sweden and ma by you can let me know if they look correct?

also i agree as i was runnning it fine with alll those lead washers and i didnt knowtice they were in there till i poked around and one moved so i tweezered it out and then ther ewas anothher total of 4 one on top of the other, but it basically had cut off the fuel flow. There are several photos showing where it looks like there is a groove in the carburetor where a washer fits perfectly in the valve body the tube that the eccentric blocks it and sticks up so I assume it would have to be a cone shaped casket washer as you can see the ones that I pulled out that were in my hand in the photo our lead and are very strangely shaped crushed

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2021
  13. Nils Stephenson

The washer should be flat and fit between the thread and the raised ridge in the centre of the block. I'm at work now but can measure one when I get home this evening.

From the look of your photos, are you missing the cleaning needle rod?

14. Stovie21

Really!?! Ok well i would appreciate it if you could measure the size and thickness of the washer so I can go to store and get one hopefully or have to try to punch one out And that never works out so well for me lol , I just made a lead washer but that’s soft so I won that battle lol.
    I I am very happy I did not try to put the generator on with the aluminum con washer until I know for sure what it takes I am not going to put anything on it as everything is pretty fragile in radius generators are very difficult to come by from my experience as to your question no I do have the rod and needle I just have it taken out because I was using gasket hooks pick out the lead from the threads in and down in the base of the valve body since so many lid washers had been stacked on top and crushed together it made a mess but are used what are essentially Automotive ring pics and they work very well, although my rod for the generator kind of sucks and is kind a hanky Jenkie I was able to hammer it straight again but it does need a new female joint where the rod meets the needle , gues I will be busting out the miniature taps and dies sett. Ughh no fun.

if you happen to know where Incan buy the washer and or the pets mentioned above I’m alll ears as iv spent to many hours searching the web over the last weeks (and other parts)

thank you all, Cheers Joshua

15. Nils Stephenson

Fogas in Sweden has the washer for the tank fitting here. It's part number 119-49. The washer for the vapouriser should be part number 119-05. I'm not sure if they are compatible or not. You could always send them an email and ask. Even though the website is in Swedish, there is no problems with English.

16. Stovie21

WOW right on! i am familiar with the website but since its in Swedish i must have missed it as i spent hours on that damn site and using google translate LOL and to top it off by the time i get my cart made the website times out and empties my cart so i finally gave up. after many frustrating hours.....
    is there ea way to make the site in English or just when i send them a message?
    Hey if these are the right parts your my new Swedish Lantern master, will have to ask you a couple other question in pm
    i assume you must be fluent Swedish?

17. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have not had the fun of re-building one of these but i have frequently ecountered "multiple" lead seals on similar lanterns. I think that often the lead is perfectly swaged to fit and people leave it on or even do not notice it, but still put a new seal in there. Four is stretching it a bit tho...

18. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I think that although the seal has two different numbers, they are the same seal. both numbers can be seen on the link @ fogas. I can also confirm from buying from them that they speak perfect English (like a great number of Swedes)

19. Stovie21

i complete;y agree i just took the whole valve body out of the tank again for ease of having to work around things, and there was a perfectly swagged flattened but still good lead washer in the valve body where it meets the tank/fount pickup.
    very cool
    Appreciate the help!!

20. Stovie21

i agree i just looked and it appears to be the same item, i also found one seller on the "bay" selling Radius aluminum washers, but no dimensions and also on Fogas there is no dimensions of the washer, Anyone have some measurements stashed somewhere???

not sure who to order from as if i go with Fogas i will end up buying alot of other items lol :/ and i am in the process of moving so that's nongood, wife may hang me outside

21. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

You shall talk with Conny. It's he who are the man who run their section with these old stuff.
    The easiest is to just simply send him an e-mail and explain which parts you need, and I am sure he can help you out with everything. And of course he speaks English! Most people in Scandinavia do more or less.
    Mind you! He may be on vacation now. We're after all in the middle of the period when most Swedes take several weeks off from work.

E-mail address as a screenshot to prevent spam-bots:
    conny.JPG
    (Text saying: Questions regarding kerosene lamps, kerosene stoves and blow torches)

22. Stovie21

I appreciate the info I’ll give it a shot and props to the Scandinavians as that is one hell of a hard language to learn I have a couple friends and I can’t even barely learn one word so for them to learn English as well that takes him some real skill. AnyWho I appreciate the info all this helps a lot as this lamp was running OK but not great andTaking it apart was a new adventure as I hadn’t seen many lead seals since I worked on the old are you old Coleman two burner stove’s I believe it was like a foresee or something

23. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

@Nils Stephenson Oops! Had the pic in my 119 folder. Moderator, please erase pic2 in my reply.
    Sorry if someone got mislead by this

24. Nils Stephenson

I've made a couple of measurements and can see that the washer needs to be OD 12mm, ID 8mm and between 1.5 and 2mm thick. I've used lead a few times and it works. Thinking about it, I might have used two lead washers as lead squashes down a lot more than aluminium.

25. Stovie21

thank you much that gives me a for sure start point with no guessing, i will buy some online and go to the specialty hardware store to see if i find anything, i can get aluminum, sheet of every thickness there, just have to check what size metal punches i have, but them again one aluminum may be tempered harder than another so maybe not a good idea??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021