Quirk’s Victory Wall Lamp

Discussion in 'Quirk's Victory Light Co, and Goulburn Specials' started by Nils Stephenson, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Here is a wall lamp that is usually placed under the group of unknown lamps called Goulburn Specials due to where the first one was found.

It is a fairly crude, but solid, lamp with an AGM burner.

1285240389-GS_Wall_side.jpg

1285240379-GS_Wall_before.jpg 1285240389-GS_Wall_side.jpg 1285240502-GS_Wall_rear.jpg 1285240511-GS_Wall_filler.jpg 1285240533-GS_Wall_burner_1.jpg 1285240541-GS_Wall_burner_2.jpg 1285240550-GS_Wall_burner_joint.jpg 1285240560-GS_Wall_burner_exploded.jpg

The lamp is fitted with a home made valve wheel and stem. If anyone knows what the original looks like I would like to know.

A shade would be nice and I found a similiar arrangement of burner and feed tube on Terry Marsh's website. It is on an AGM 176. Are there any other similar arrangements?

The rear of the lamp is covered with solder which I am inclined to believe is original. There is obviously a bracket missing from the bottom of the lamp so once again, if anyone knows what it should be like, please tell.

The filler cap is quite battered and is now fitted with a rubber gasket instead of the lead one that was on there originally. It has a simple loose ball inside which is crimped in place to act as a valve. One wing is a pump fitting and has the same thread as a bicycle valve.

I like the way the burner is attached with a single nut and a right and left hand thread.

One thing I find curious with the burner is that the pricker wire has to be screwed up and down. I would have expected it to just push up and down (as in the patent).

I still have to do something about the packing in the burner tube. It is obviously asbestos, so is there a usable alternative available today?

Br
    Nils

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Hi Nils
    nice lamp you have like the scrolled arm support, i have managed to drill out the old generator packing and the re stuff them with a copper braiding cable that is used for earthing straps. i just pack it then hammer some more in with a pump. I dont think copper is ideal maybe brass mesh would be better but ones that i have done work really well

cheers pete

3. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Graphite tape?

4. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Dont think graphite would be suitable to pack the tube ross needs to let fuel then gas flow to nipple you could stuff it with the asbestos from a tilley meths lighter if you got a spare on nils

pete

5. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Ah - stovie not knowing how these things are put together. Read packing - saw graphite!

Bit of loft insulation? Rockwool?

6. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

yep!! its packing in the generator i think he meant maybe i got it wrong !

pete

7. Nils Stephenson

Yes it is the packing in the generator I mean. The original is quite obviously asbestos and is pretty clogged up. It was probably run on car petrol in it's day. Actually I havn't got it out yet. It doesn't want to budge with gentle persuation. Maybe I'll have to use a bit of heat.

Br
    Nils

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

What about brass wire mesh tightly rolled up into a cylinder? - works on various stoves of my acquaintance...

9. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

yes that would be ok dave ones i have done i just ram it in then keep hammering a punch in to pack it down the tube

pete

10. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

The ones i have done Nils i have had to drill out

cheers pete

11. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Nils. I have one of these (Also posted here, moderators edit). Mine has no lower fitting on the back but does have a couple of U girders in there for some reason. Also images of the burner with the correct valve control which as you will see is not a wheel. The original shade holders for those AGM burners was a three arm suported shade ring which bolts on just in front of the generator. However my lamp has a top ring which it came with and may be original as supplied. There is the thought that these GS lamps were made by Kopsen. There is a table lamp which has an AGM filler cap and handle with this same burner allmounted on a Kayen-Tilley type lamp base. I will post an image of this in the gallery.

You replace asbestos packing with asbestos, or at least I do but then I have a good supply of asbestos string. I don't like using copper in burners because if it gets too hot it will oxydise and very quickly clog the generator. Better is tightly rolled brass mesh which will aid heat transfer and act as a filter which is what the asbestos is there for. Chances are it will run OK without any packing though.

OK here is my lamp with details.

1285286226-Goulburn_Special_Bracket.jpg

1285286244-Goulburn_Special_Bracket_Back.jpg 1285286268-Goulburn_Special_Bracket_Burner.jpg 1285286297-Goulburn_Special_Bracket_Shade_holder_mount.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2021
  12. Nils Stephenson

Thanks for the replies.

I might give brass mesh a go. That leads to another point that I would like clarifying. As I mentioned, the pricker wire on mine has to be screwed up and down. Is this normal on these burners? That would make it rather difficult to use when running. Makes it a bit more understandable why they used the asbestos packing as a filter.

Looking at these two lamps, I get the idea that the whole feed arm (including control 'wheel') came from AGM. Apart from the scroll work it is identical to the one on the AGM lamp on Terry's site. Follow this Link and it's the third picture down.

After having another look at the base of mine, I'd say it was replaced or repaired at some time. Hence the amount of solder and crude hanging bracket.

Br
    Nils

13. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

We have done a lot more research into GS lamps and I now know that this wall bracket was made by Quirk’s Victory Lighting Company of 378 Flinders Street Melbourne Australia. It is advertised as the Victory lamp. I have several examples of AGM lamps of the period and I am pretty sure that the tank and swan neck with scrolls on the Victory were not made by AGM. The quality is just too crude to have come out of Albert Lea. So strictly speaking this lamp is not a Goulburn Special since we now know who made and sold it. The others such as the table lamp and lantern with the Kopsen tank are GS although I am pretty sure they were also made and sold by Quirk's. ::Neil::

14. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

Ad dated 16 November 1923.

Having the lamp up side down just makes it all the more interesting. :)

1475552213-Victory_wall_lamp_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  15. Nils Stephenson

I've seen these ads a few times, but this is the first with the lamp upside down. Maybe the typesetter was so used to seeing lamps hanging that he thought that was the way it was supposed to be.

I wonder if this lamp used the same globe as the table lamp?