R55 value (not price)?

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Neighbor Al, Jan 3, 2020.

?

Worth more: Complete or Bits

1. Complete

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Neighbor Al

Neighbor Al United States Subscriber

I'm NOT going to talk price here, but I am going to talk value.

It dawned on me today that a working R55 is worth more for its bits than as a heater. A working 169 vapourizer can bring life to an elegant KL80! The fount of an R55 is an excellent fuel supply for a hollow wire system.

So, better to part out an R55 or just bring the price up to reflect the value of the bits?

2. paul m

paul m Subscriber

I'd have thought a complete R55 would be worth more complete, who wants a second vapouriser?, second burners are pretty cheap these days, better to keep it complete..

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Complete!

My rule is: buying second hand vapourisers for more than a pittance is dodgy.

Cheers

Tony

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Al, I would keep it complete.

5. Neighbor Al

I agree on the second hand vapourizer issue. I have two working R55s, and I'm considering taking one to bits because I KNOW that the 169 is original and working fine.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Well I wish someone would part out an R55 because I want a tank to use as a hollow wire feed. There is however a safety issue with Tilley tanks. Almost all have a pump with the nrv in the fuel so when the rubber fails the pump will vent fuel. Not an issue with kero but dangerous with gasoline. The fix is to cut down a pump and fit a Schrader valve so the air inlet is above the fuel and failure vents air only. ::Neil::

7. Neighbor Al

Have you considered using an old fire extinguisher fitted with a Schraeder valve? They are typically good for well beyond 100psi (6 bar) Call a fire extinguisher shop and they might have one to sell that's been recently tested.

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Is there any reason apart from lack of space and simplicity why the fuel and the air pump have to be in the same vessel? The safety concerns can be obviated by having two pressure vessels connected together by a copper tube: one for the fuel and the other having the pump and containing only compressed air.

9. Pancholoco1911

Pancholoco1911 United States Subscriber

If you are parting out I will be interested in the control cock. Let me know

10. Digout Australia

AN LP Gas cylinder is another option.

11. Graham P Australia

(Mackburner) I have thought of making a Hollow Wire display set up ,thinking of Primus gas bottle as fuel tank modied using bleed as inlet for pump hose

12. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes there are quite a few fuel tank possibilities but I wanted to use either the real thing or at least a pressure lamp/heater tank to keep it on topic rather than use something non lamp related. I can test burn any HW lamp with a normal Coleman or Tilley tank but to run maybe half a dozen lamps for a few hours it needs to be something to hold a Gallon or more. The R55 tank is just about big enough and has a narrow pump so it's easy to make a Schrader valve adaptor. I could use an FL tank but what I don't have is a spare wide pump fitting to adapt with a Schrader valve. This is no big deal though. For the display we have in mind I think we can use the real thing which I don't have but Henry does. Just got to work out a reasonably quick assembly and tear down method to avoid spending hours fiddling about. ::Neil::