Radius 103 newbie

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Kjell Amundsen, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Kjell Amundsen Norway

Hi
    Greatings to you all on this great forum. I love this part of the internet that puts you in touch with people of shared interests all over the world.

That said, my father recently handed me an old Radius 103 (black top and black regulator know wheel if that narrows it to a period - anyone?)

The lantern looks like it is in good shape except for a crack in the skirt. I have stop-drilled the crack and will look into soldering or similar later. All I need is a new "glow net" and some fuel and I think it is ready for tesing soon.

I also pumped up some pressure before dipping it into water and noticed that the jet would let through some very small bubbles with the dial in the closed position (or is it cleaning nozzle position?).
    So I wonder if the dial is actually supposed to close off the fuel like a valve?

And secondly - what fuel do I or can I use for this one?

Thanks in advance.
    Kjell

Radius 103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2020
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

That wheel operates the pricker rod only, it is not a positive shut off valve.

Paraffin/kerosene is the fuel to use and the lantern is pre heated with meths/alcohol, you will also need some mantles.

Judging by your photo, the base plate for the cage and the meths cup are missing from your lantern and the first link below shows the relevant Radius page.

The second link below shows the operating instructions and diagrams for a similar lantern, but the library is only open to subscribers.

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/1968-primus-1550-instructions.9156/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. Kjell Amundsen Norway

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.
    I do have all the parts for it although not shown on the photo. The glass looks original as well as it has the brand stamped onto it.

By the way, what is the purpose of the little tube coming up from the pre-heater cup? The blinded end of it also protrudes through the bottom of the cup??

Cheers
    Kjell

4. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Kjell and welcome to the forum from the Scottish Highlands.

Stevie

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Kjell, I'm glad to hear that you have all of the parts and I find that tube in the meths cup very useful.

Sometimes I do not keep as careful a watch on the consumption of the meths/alcohol as I should and when I do take notice, it's burnt off except for the flame which is coming out of that tube and that is usually enough to get the lantern lit.

6. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The tube in the pre-heater cup should have a small hole in side near the bottom of the cup. This allows a small amount of alcohol to be in the bottom of the tube and keep a flame burning at the tip of the tube just long enough to light the lamp when the main cup is empty.

This lamp is from the late 1930s to the mid 1940s. Probably closer to the start of that time as they went over to a nickel plated top cap at some point, but I don't know when.

7. george

george United States Subscriber

Hello Kjell,
    Welcome to the forum! This is truly the place of knowledge when it comes to lamps/lanterns! You are off to a good start, too! This is a wonderful lantern and parts should be available.
    :D/

8. Kjell Amundsen Norway

thanks all.
    I have now ordered some 350cp mantles (could not find 300cps but I guess it will be ok) and will post the results.
    :-)

Cheers
    Kjell

9. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Kjell Amundsen
    Welcome from Queensland Australia.
    As said before, there is a lot of friendly knowledge and help on this forum, all you got to do is ask.
    Looking forward to seeing your posts and pictures.
    Cheers
    Pete

10. Kjell Amundsen Norway

20200110_203853.jpg Hi
    I fired up the old Radius today and all seems well.

11. Kjell Amundsen Norway

On closer inspection I found several hair thin cracks in the "center ring" /air intake. Reading other discussions here I take that this is a common fault of these lamps. Thinking of reproducing one in stainless steel or similar. Other suggestions and experienes are welcome 20200110_203803.jpg

12. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Good to see it working. Most of the old Swedish lamps work well after a service.

These cracks are a common issue with Radius lamps. I expect it wouldn't have been a problem for the expected life of the lamp. They were not catering to future collectors. :) I have heard of others soldering the cracks from the inside to strengthen the area, maybe even solder a length of brass wire in the groove. Anyway, I don't think the cracks will be a problem as they are unless you are planning on using the lamp often. If you are really worried you can always put a large hose clamp around the outside.

13. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's cleaned up and running nicely Kjell. :thumbup:
    I would keep the original part and solder wire or strips of brass on the inside.