Radius 104

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by Nils Stephenson, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Recently I was asked about a Radius 104 that a French collector had found. This is a model that I have never heard of before, so after several emails back and forth I have been allowed to post the lantern here. The lantern is owned by Serge Dupont.

The lantern is very similar to a Radius 103 from the late 1940s or early 1950s but is a 500cp version. The only physical difference that I can see is the construction of the inner top. The jet and needle must obviously be different as well.

I wonder what others make of this.

Radius_104_front.jpg Radius_104_rear.jpg Radius_104_name.jpg Radius_104_vapouriser_lower.jpg Radius_104_vapouriser_upper.jpg Radius_104_fittings.jpg Radius_104_top.jpg Radius_104_inner_top.jpg Radius_104_inner_top_detail.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Nils Stephenson

Would that lantern work properly with the 103 inner top, or has the 104 top been especially made to allow the 500cp version to work correctly (I’m thinking here if air flow)

Tony

3. Matty

@Nils Stephenson

Nils, this is more a question than me having anything meaningful to help you with the 104.

I haven't had much to do with Preston Loop type lamps. What I have noticed a couple of times is, the physical difference in the size of the Preston Loop when one is rated at 300 CP and when one is rated at 500 CP.

The 500 CP Preston Loops that I have seen are noticeably bigger than a Aladdin 300 CP 1A for instance.

The brass tubing used is bigger in diameter. I don't mean the Preston Loop is taller.

Have you noticed a size difference between 500 and 300 CP rated Preston Loop type lamps? I can only assume you haven't noticed any difference in this Radius compared to a Radius rated at 300 CP. Others though?

4. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

@Tony Press
    I really have no idea why the inner top is like this. Most Px style lanterns have the same inner top for the 300 and 500 cp models. Some of the ideas that Radius used on their 500cp version of the 119 were a bit different as well, so maybe it's a 'Radius thing'.

@Matty
    The only lamps I can think of that have a difference between the 300 and 500 cp versions are the Radius 119 and 115 models. Here the diameter of the upright section of the vapouriser is slightly different and the mixing tube is a heavier gauge. From memory, the Preston loop is the same though.

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia