Radius 119 NOS with cooktop, is it correct?

Discussion in '119' started by tretrop, Apr 18, 2020.

1. tretrop

tretrop Sweden Subscriber

I have 2 of the Radius 119 NOS with cooktop, both in the orginal box and both unlit. But no 3 crowns makings. They came from a surpusshop in the south of Sweden. My my question is, are they factory made? Was these offered to the public like this or was the cooktop allways civil defence issue? Is so, why not the 3 crowns? 20200418_091030.jpg 20200325_135336.jpg 20200325_131616.jpg

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Congratulations on a nice find. It's always a bonus to find as lamp in the original box with all the accessories.

My understanding is that this model was only made for the civil defence and not for public sales. As it was civil defence and not military, it won't have the three crowns on it. Possibly there is a the shield with the crossed bars, but not always. I have a NOS one (no box unfortunately) with this stamped in the tank. Here is a photo of it. This is a slightly earlier version than yours as it does not have the arabic writing.
    Radius_119_CF_name.jpg

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Wow, that looks amazing!

4. george United States

Great, beautiful!

5. george United States

I have one of these 119's somewhere... I can't recall any civil defence or government markings on the lantern. However, it's been sometime since I last seen it. Have to "shovel" my way out into the garage and see what I can find...:oops:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find!:thumbup:

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Very nice! Congratulations :thumbup:

8. LuzDeGas

LuzDeGas Subscriber

Wow what a find. My 119 is a work in progress and is a long way from from this incredible example.
    Thanks for sharing

9. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I had an unlit NOS one of these bought locally from an Army Surplus shop many years ago. I've a vague recollection it had a yellow Civil Defence sticker on the tank.

The only lantern I've ever had which developed stress cracks in the collar during my ownership whilst doing absolutely nothing except sitting on a shelf... :cry: :-&

10. LuzDeGas

LuzDeGas Subscriber

How is that even possible? Without lighting the lamp which can cause heating and cooling stress on the metal collar you would think it was safe and sound. The collar isn't a load bearing structure to my knowledge....my collar is also broken :(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

It probably happened because the collar was initially a flat piece of metal which Radius then turned into a closed curve without bothering to relieve the stresses put into it. [-X

These stresses within the metal then relieved themselves by forming cracks and splits over the years the lantern sat on a shelf... :cry: :-&