1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-enameling Tilley Hoods - Australia

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Pauly, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Pauly

Pauly Subscriber

Hi guys,

The biggest cosmetic concern I have in restoring my Tilleys at the moment is the hoods. From all reports it is unlikely I am going to get a high temp paint that stands up to much usage and even if it does I'm not going to get anywhere near the glossy original finish. I was going to give it a go anyway with a couple of different finishes but before I do, has anyone here from Oz had any experience either getting their hoods re-enameled or at least getting pricing? Where did you go to and can you remember approx cost?

Thanks!

2. Handi-man

Handi-man Subscriber

Hi

I know some of the Coleman guys in the US have the hoods redone in a special high temp coating.

Only experience with enameling I have had was at school making small brass or copper pendants and baking the glass powder on in a small kiln. I have a book on enameling 'The Art of Enameling' by Margaret Seeler . Published 1969. Its aimed at craft people but its a good read.

3. Matty

Pauly,

While I'm here I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.

I can't even find anyone that does re-enamelling. You can find every man and his dog doing bathtub re-enamelling which is of little help to those that wish for used metal parts to be done.

If you can find someone willing to take on the job of re-enamelling your hoods, to sweeten the deal, it might be worth trying to get a group of collectors to have items done. I suspect a bloke would be more interested in doing 50 Tilley hoods of the same colour rather than 5. I assume the costs would come down if a larger quantity could be done at the one time.

First of all, someone needs to be found that will take the job on. Then, I'd post at this forum asking for other Australian collectors would they be interested and how many they would like done.

You, or someone else, may have to act as the collection point prior to re-enamelling and the distribution point post enamelling.

I would most likely have some items done. The job shouldn't be restricted to Tilley hoods. Coleman, Austramax, Handi etc, may bring enough numbers from collectors for the bloke to quote.

4. Handi-man

Handi-man Subscriber

This maybe helpful

5. Handi-man

Handi-man Subscriber

6. Lamp_Doctor

Yea Glass metal industries is about 5 minutes from my place .
    Pretty dear last time we asked for a quote $100 for a tilley vent .
    Can buy a lot of tilleys for that price with good vents to .
    The other place is about 1hr away from my place again .
    Bob .

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@Handi-man

Last time I looked at this issue it was cheaper to buy a new Tilley hood than get one re-enamelled.

Cheers

Tony

8. Digout

Digout Subscriber

Ask you children if their local Technical or High Schools do enameling in their art classes.