Reasonably priced ceramic nozzles

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Mar 16, 2019.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I was idly looking around eBay this morning and came accross someone selling very reasonably priced ceramic nozzles for P'max/clones. The main image shows what looked like an Anchor or a Sea Anchor lantern. For roughly 50p a pop, I've taken a punt and bought myself a few to test out.

ceramic nozzles.jpg

If you search for...

6x Outdoor Pressure Kerosene Lantern Nozzle Head

You should find them OK. They cost £3.22p for 6x - not bad I'd say... if they work.

Happy Fettling everyone
    Colin

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A very reasonable price!:thumbup:

3. ColinG

I forgot to mention that the nozzels were on sale on the UK eBay site but as they're from China (where else!) my guess is they'll be available in the States as well.

4. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

The chinese ones are made from a porous clay and are light and fragile. The expensive European made ones are much heavier and harder, some claim as hard as ruby.

5. ColinG

I will perform some tests when they arrive (if they arrive as this will then be post Brexit!) and report back.

6. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Why would that many any difference?:-k

7. george United States

Are they for 150, 350, or 500 cp? The ones made for 150-350 cp seem to be the hard ones to find on this side of the pond, not to mention, expensive as hell!:rage::-({|=:mrgreen:

8. ColinG

Hmmmm, I'm not sure. I'll check the specs to see if it says which. I have a 350cp and 2x 500cp so hopefully they're suitable for one of those.

9. george United States

The ceramic 250 cp seem to be hard to find from my perspective, not to mention expensive!
    So far, I've been lucky. I have managed "not" to break the 250s I do have. Now, having said that, I will probably will!](*,)

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Although no one seems to be making this type of 250 cp lantern any more, there must be many 250's still in existence and still being used. Glasses and 250 jets & needles are still available, it seems strange that the nozzles are more expensive than those for 350 / 500 (same size) and 150 lanterns.
    @george 250 nozzles are readily available from Base-Camp for £8.90 ($11.80). Is that similar to what you pay in the U.S. ?

Henry.

11. ColinG

Well, it might make a difference because after 29th March we could be trading with Europe under different trade rules governing tarrifs, taxes, etc. If we leave without an agreement we will have to forge new agreements on a country by country basis, including China. Anything bought and sold between the UK and China if we leave the EU without a deal will attract different tarrifs and taxes, threfore anything I buy from China now which will arrive after the leave date could be subject to different rules. The question is, will China allow current purchases to be traded under the rules that applied at the time of purchase, the time the item was shipped, or the date when they arrive in the UK? I don't know the answer.

If the Parliament vote to accept the Prime Ministers negotiated deal with the EU, there might still be differences in our trading regulations in the transition period, but what these are I'm not sure.

As far as I can fathom, the trading relationship between the UK and the rest of the world (as all our trade is currently done under EU rules) will change to some degree no matter what happens.

I think.

12. george United States

Honestly Henry, I think I was paying more then that! I'm going to have to check. I know Mike and he's a pleasure to work with. I never thought about Base Camp (blush). Thank you!:oops:

13. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@george Don't forget that the extra shipping costs could even things out.

Henry.

14. MYN

I have some China-made nozzles(as well as a couple of 200/250cp ones). The material could vary from porous, relatively fragile ones to very hard ones.
    Some(the porous/fragile ones) look and feel like some brick-like earthenware pieces while the others are very hard and are pure white(almost translucent), possibly made of nearly pure Alumina.

15. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

The 200-250cp ones as used on small Optimus, Radius, Pmax etc. are quite expensive compared to the larger 350-500cp type and many suppliers do not have stock any more.

16. ColinG

OK... I asked the seller if they were aware what lantern power (in cp or candle power) they were rated for but the answer was simply a re-iteration of the specs on eBay so I don't think they know.

Thanks for your email.

Please kindly note:

Description:

Pressure Kerosene Lantern component

Made of Ceramics material

Size(diameter*height): 3*2.5cm

Suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, picnic, beach, backpacking, travel, climbing, exploring, and other outdoor activities

Hope you can understand.

I was kind of expecting that sort of answer so I'll have to wait until they arrive and test them myself.

17. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

You can count the number of holes in a row from edge to center. 4 holes=250cp 5 holes =350-500cp.

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Phil

Does that include or exclude the centre hole?

Tony

19. lampelus

lampelus Subscriber

What about those noozles made of brass. Has anybody tested those ?
    They should last a long time. See them for sale from Taiwan in 350/500 and 250 CP.

Bjørn

20. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

@Tony Press , including the center hole. Not claining it is the definitive method, but it is a quick way of eliminating candidates if you have only photos, without being able to measure them.

21. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, Phil. That’s a new trick I’ve learned.

Cheers

Tony

22. ColinG

So, counting the holes in the photo of the ones I've ordered they have 5 holes from the centre to the outer edge so they're 350cp - 500cp... is that right?

23. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Colin

That is what Phil stated.

Regards Jeremy

24. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

These nozzles look the same as the box of 12 I bought from AliExpress for about 1 and a half year ago for about £3 with free shipping.

I wanted them as spares if needed but they are made of very porous clay and I have not tried them yet.

I bought these together with 36 500cp Butterfly and 36 500cp Anchor mantles for about £5 for each box with free shipping.

Because the seller also sold the 500cp Sea Anchor (Anchor) lantern I reckoned they where 350/500cp nozzles and I am sure they have 5 holes in radius.

The photos on the sellers site on AliExpress had photos of both 500cp Sea Anchor and Anchor lanterns and to what I have learned is that the Anchor factory in Shanghai is closed down and also to what I have seen is that the Cixi Sea Anchor factory is now offering the Anchor lantern so I assume that they have taken over the ownership of the brand Anchor but probably with the same quality as the Sea Anchor which I think is slightly lower than what Anchor was.

Any thoughts?

Michael

25. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I bought some some time ago in Germany aand end them back, don't mind the holes check the thread size and winding (?)

26. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I had a look at my spare nozzles and noticed that on the white (Chinese?) nozzles all holes are pointing straight down. On the Geniol spare nozzles however the holes change from straight down in the middle to pointing "outwards" at the edge. Would that have an effect on the performance of the lantern? I guess there must be a good reason for this! (other than making them more complicated thus more expensive to make).

Best regards,

Wim

27. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

If you use an U-shape mantle it doesn't matter ....

You are right tehre are more details that matter.