Rebuilt from Gasolin to Butan

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rollschmidts, Dec 26, 2018.

1. rollschmidts

rollschmidts Subscriber

Hi, I've rebuilt something: A gasoline lamp from colemann: It now lights up with butane gas.
    The tank was checked with a pressure test with 3 bar air and then tested for leaks in a water bath. The filling connection was rebuilt and equipped with a Petromax pump bottom valve, the riser pipe removed from the carburetor and the nozzle bore extended.
    Now the lamp can easily refuel with butane and starts immediately with bright light.

Butan-1.jpg Butan-2-2.jpg Butan-2.jpg

2. Erik Leger

Erik Leger Germany Subscriber

Right in the Middle of Nowhere, S. Germany.
    Assuming that you know what you do - I would recommend a disclaimer for people coming by...
    In my opinion a spring loaded check valve is not recommended for butane at all.
    The lantern will certainly light but does it do it safely?
    I know there are people who refill one way gas canisters. I also know about an extinguisher blown into a tent (with a person sleeping in) the very last second as a leaking gas canister "lighted up" in the awning.
    Ceterum censeo... I did watch a Tilley lantern discharging its contents through the pump tube without any noticeable external impact (?) and we all were lucky that one ran on paraffin only.

Erik

3. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Interesting conversion. How long does it burn on a full fount?
    How hot does the fount get in normal use in still air? Gas cylinders tend to cool down while supplying gas for use.
    Ideally, for safety, some form of brass-on-brass screw down valve for the filler and a way to prevent the filler cap being removed by mistake may be preferable. The fount will undoubtedly handle the pressure of LP gas under normal circumstances although the soldered bottom plate would make me a bit nervous if something goes wrong. The newer style steel founts can better withstand solder-melting temperatures without catastrophic failure.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. rollschmidts

rollschmidts Subscriber

Thanks for the constructive answers. My goal was to rebuild a lamp and to test if this is possible. Safety must be, therefore a pressure test and leakage test was carried out. Rubuster than the disposable cartridges, this lamp is quite. By principle, it works like an old Lilor butane lamp.
    The cover of the filling device can be sealed or glued so that it can not be removed. But should I do that? It will stay with this one-time action.

5. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I congratulate you on your ingenuity, but I'm not sure this is a lamp I would use regularly, if at all! Lamps and lanterns are made for a specific fuel and there is always the possibility that some minor unforeseen detail will cause a catastrophic failure and with gas the resulting fireball and explosion could easily be fatal. Someone in the US recently died when their Coleman white gas lantern failed. No-one yet knows if it was user error or a mechanical failure, but make no mistake, these devices can be dangerous!

A better conversion might be from white gas to kerosene because it is less volatile and safer to handle (some may disagree).

I would never convert an older lamp such as this without being able to return it to its original state, so I wouldn't permanently seal the filler cap.

6. rollschmidts

rollschmidts Subscriber

I will not use this lamp permanently. It's an experiment. The lamp can be quickly dismantled to use it again with gasoline. That was the goal!
    BR

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Ahhhh, I understand. Can we see a better photo of the lamp?

8. toad of the cape

toad of the cape Subscriber

Thanks for that clarification,clever but a bomb none the least,we want you around for next NY eve.toad