Relum Magnalux (Anchor 950)

Discussion in 'Anchor' started by ColinG, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I bought this mainly because it was so cheap! It was described as an Anchor lantern but technically it's a Relum Magnalux.

IMG_20200318_204006_9.jpg

I reasoned it would be useful for spares if nothing else but as has happened in the past, when it arrived it was in reasonably good shape. Only the hood had suffered which is very common as the chrome plating is pretty poor. However, after an initial clean it wasn't as bad as I first thought so with bit of work it should look a whole lot better!

IMG_20200318_204015_8.jpg

IMG_20200318_204030_4.jpg

It looks strange to see it working without the filler cap/mankmeter pressure release screw!

IMG_20200318_204123_7.jpg

IMG_20200318_204113_7.jpg

When I got it, everything that could be set incorrectly wasand burned like piece of damp paper in a rain storm! The air gap was set to about 4mm, the trim vane in the j tube was in the fully restricted position and the fuel jet may have been worn... although I'm not too sure. The collar that joins the j tube to the ceramic burner was loose as was the ceramic nozzle itself. Anyway, once those were all fixed it ran pretty good. For the first few minutes there's a halo around the mantle so I might try to add some copper wire or mesh around the pricker rod to increase the vaporisation.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's cleaned up well and it's bright!:thumbup::thumbup:

3. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Its Its chinese's friend again.
    Shiny lantern
    You must have piled up a lot meanwhile.
    How it comes, those are so frequent in Scotland......

4. ColinG

I guess there are still quite a few lanterns up here because not so long ago there were lots of places that didn't have electricity. Having said that, most of my lanterns don't come from round here, only one or two.

The Relum Magnalux is another in my Chinese collection and so long as the couriers don't stop delivering things, I have a 'Solar' brand lantern arriving soon which will be the star in the collection.

5. george

george United States Subscriber

I think I see "Anchor" written on the font(?). Not sure... it looks like the air bleeder screw was removed from the manometer and relocated to the quick lighter. Am I seeing things??
    :-k:?:

6. ColinG

No George, your eyesight is fine. The Relum Magnalux was a "rebranded" (not even rebadged) Anchor sold in England that had to be adapted to satisfy UK safety concerns. The pressure release screw had to be moved (apparently so fuel/air vapours could be redirected more safely) and a steal ring was added to make it more stable. I'm pretty sure these modifications did absolutely nothing.

7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber