Removing "bumps" and other questions

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Carpedien1982, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Carpedien1982

Carpedien1982 Sweden Subscriber

Hi! I started to clean an Optimus 200 and i wounder if it is some easy way to remove the bumps from the tank. I attached some pictures.
    Other question: how to remove the black smoke on a way that doesn't scratch the lamp.
    Thanks för the information.
    Best regards,
    Frank IMG_20190722_103906.jpg IMG_20190722_103851.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Carpedien1982

1. You can solder a rod to the deepest part of the dent and pull the dent out. The heat and the solder will affect the nickel plating, so you need to decide whether you do this or not.

2. You can fill the hole with some resin and sand it back to the shape of the tank, but again you have compromised the nickel.

3. You can leave it as it is and appreciate its history.

I have used the method of freezing water to reshape a kettle, but I don’t recommend this method for a lantern that will be pressurised.

Best regards

Tony

3. Carpedien1982

Carpedien1982 Sweden Subscriber

Thanks Tony! That was what i thought also. I think it will be part of the lamps history :). I was thinking to try to pudh the dent från inside of the tank, but i need to investigate that option a little more.
    Best regards
    Frank

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

For brass kettles I made a hard wood 'dolly' that fits through the lid hole so it can be used to push the dent out from the inside. For a small opening such as the filler cap on lantern founts you might have to make one out of steel so it reaches the spot that needs re-forming. The business end will need to be rounded and then polished and it would be a good idea to use some grease on the end. If you put the rough end of the steel dolly in a vice and carefully manipulate the fount it should be possible go gently swage the affected area back into shape. I have a tank I need to do this with so if it works I'll post some photos.

5. MarkC

MarkC Subscriber

For all the black stuff, try some harpic 10x. Pour it over give a bit of a scrub then rinse.
    Spotless in seconds...

disclaimer - it might damage your lamp do at own risk.

6. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

Looked at paintless dent removal tools on ebay and you tube they may be a possibility.
    Has anyone tried these out on a lamp ?

7. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Some people fill the fount half way with water. Then use a soldering torch to heat up the dent.
    The heat will pressurize the tank, while at same time weakens the brass and eventually restores the original shape.
    I never tried it.
    Because if applied wrong, the bottom might bulge.
    Try at your own risk.
    Regs willi

8. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Graham P I have wondered about the paintless dent removal method used for car body work. Would be interesting to find out, it may work for those small annoying dents that mar an otherwise perfect fount.
    Anyone out there tried this method?

9. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

I purchased one of the dent removal tools and tried to remove a dent similar to to the one in the second picture.
    No success, too many curves and fittings to allow the tool to get a proper purchase. The glue kept letting go.
    I haven't tried again but a shallow dent on the side where the surface is flatter might work? And probably need to have pressure in the font.

@AussiePete @Graham P

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Thanks @ROBBO55 that’s good to know.
    Cheers
    Pete

11. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

There are companies whicha devrt with repair without painting for cars.
    You may visit them and give them a challence. I fear however that the thickness of pressure tanks is to much for them.
    Although it depends of the shape of the dent and where it is on the tank. So can you reach it ?

12. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

@Carpedien1982
    I use Svinto with soap together with warm water to remove stains on chrome or in this case, nickel.
    There are very little scratches from the steel wool and you do not put on more pressure than nessecary.

Michael

13. MYN

Sometimes, I've managed to significantly reduce the depth of these dents by the following:
    Fill up the fount half full with water, kerosene or some suitable fluids. Pump it up to slightly higher than 30psi.
    Tap, with repetitive glancing blows, the high ridges (edited photo below) with a nylon-head mallet. The dent might eventually bulges out again due to the tension created on and by the surrounding metal. ***Some practice and skils required:
    20190726_003203.jpg