Repainting a Bialaddin hood.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Alby, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Alby

Hi all

I am thinking about restoring a hood on one of my Bialaddin 315 lamps. It is currently finished in red but due to an error on my part some of the finish has become marked , it will not erase out and deters the appearance... Metal is 100% sound .. Considering a good VHT spray paint.

Could I ask if any learned fellows have good advice and recommendations ... paint types and brands maybe there are many but which one ? Any curing procedures ?

Thanks for your time,:thumbup:

2. george United States

HTP in my opinion, will buy you time, but not much else if expect to run it a lot. Paint of any kind just doesn't seem to hold up. Even HT stove paint is questionable. I painted my brown 300 Vapalux and because of my eyes the color in bad, to say the least. I don't plan on turning it into a runner so I'm not worried about the heat reflector.

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Alby

I’ve not found a VHT paint that lasts for long on an operating Tilley or Vapalux/Bialaddin hood.

Tony

4. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Alby, Have you checked Member Services in the Trading Post ?

5. Alby

Thanks to all ... I know I could search around and well for 75 pounds to my door you
    can order one of these... from far off Korea ...

.VAPALUX BIALADDIN RED HOOD PARAFFIN PRESSURE VAPOUR LAMP RED | eBay

a bit pricey . near double what I originally paid for the the lamp in its carpentered oak case.
    Just thought there would be a diy way to recolour this hood, I guess I will visit the usual internet
    sites. I will check out the above you mentioned,

6. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

There's a member who can re-enamel hoods (and other parts presumably) who could probably help.... I forget his name right now. As for paints, I'd say it's money down the drain.

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Didn't someone advertise a vitreous re-enamelling service the other day? - in the Members Services section IIRC.

Regarding alternatives to vitreous enamelling on hoods, if there'd been a quicker / easier / cheaper / more durable solution to the problem, you can bet your bottom dollar the various manufacturers would have been doing it decades ago...

8. rayw

rayw United Kingdom Subscriber

9. Alby

Thanks for that ... I put my fingers into action and pm'd him today ... see what happens:thumbup:

10. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Nice one Alby, the results certainly look impressive.

11. Johnny19

Johnny19 United Kingdom Subscriber

The shipping on those Hoods are extortionate from Korea. I also PM'd our friend......;)

12. Alby

Johnny ... we are nearly neighbours are you a blue or a red ?... I Live in St. Helens ... this Korean guy and I have dealt with him sells dodgy stuff I bought a vapouriser off him paid good money it was crap ... it would be better used as a fishing weight off the North pier at Blackpool ... lockdown no... don't go there .. there are those hear who profoundly rave about his gear ... for me twas an expensive mistake ... I found a member here enameling hoods ... but to TBH ..I am uncomfortable with his fees and payment options ... hey any
    probs pm me .. have quite a few paraffin / kero fuelled lamps and picked up a lot of knowledge from sincere
    fellows on here ..:lol: :thumbup: