Restoration of Tilley fuel gauges for FL5, FL6 etc.

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by R100, Oct 19, 2020.

1. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have recently successfully tackled the restoration of fuel gauges on both my FL5 and FL6 lamps. Having read a number of threads on here about the topic and the difficulty in obtaining replacements and understanding the frustration of a gauge not working, I have produced the PDF file as an illustrated guide to how I tackled the issue. I am sure that the are other ways but this is my way and the method I will employ should I need to restore another. Of course I am open to suggestions as to how I could improve or simplify the process and I am happy to answer any questions which you may have.

Finally, do let us know if you decide to try it.

Attached Files:

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@R100 Great stuff! Of course, if the gauge/needle is missing, as on mine, something a bit more radical is required to scratch-build.

John

3. R100

Hi John,
    Your post is interesting and I did initially search for a suitable compass to replace my gauge in its entirety, but without luck. Could I ask how you relocated the pointer pivots between the fron and rear glass?

4. presscall

A slot in the clear plastic cylindrical component separating front and back glasses allowed access to tweezers holding the tip of the pointer.

5. R100

Ah yes. Thank you. I was hoping you had discovered an easier way than mine when dealing with original gauges.

How the heck did they do it when originally manufactured?

6. presscall

How indeed!

7. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Warning: I wanted to buy these compasses, (found by following links), to have a go at making one for my FL6. The seller obviously have had something go wrong with their postage. Luckily, I spotted it in time before finalising purchase. I will write to them to see if they can fix this as they appear to have a good reputation.

Stay safe.

Compass.jpg