Revelation 8GC5597

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Toby Garner, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Toby Garner

Toby Garner United States Subscriber

A rebranded Thermos. These have a problematic o-ring sealing pump that tends to give trouble over time. And while I have made adapters for running a CQ/327 style filler cap with separate pump I'm still not a big fan of these... But many adore them. Thanks for looking.

PXL_20210920_202047130.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20210920_201702055.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

PXL_20210920_201934750~2.jpg

PXL_20210920_201552350.NIGHT~2.jpg

PXL_20210920_201743896.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks, Toby.

I must confess that I would find it hard to love that lantern…

Cheers

Tony

3. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

It's different for sure but to me it looks like a prop from a 1970s TV sci-fi show! I actually like that though! I'm also a sucker for blue lanterns!

4. Hanzo

I grew up with Western Auto. They sold auto supplies and many other kinds of items as well , like sporting goods . They repaired cars and installed tires as well.

5. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

It doesn’t have the classic features I normally look for in a lantern but it does have an interesting retro vibe that reminds me of the Coleman 275 but without the unfortunate brown finish. I’d happily add one to the collection if one comes to find me! Looks nice and bright, enjoy!

6. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Did Davros create these for his Dalecks to enable them to see when bellowing "EXTERMINATE"?
    Seriously, I like the blue, I'm not too sure about the style though.

It's a little reminiscent of the Coleman 275, in brown, that is sometimes called the "Turd" by members of the Coleman Collectors Forum.
    A39D53BD-BA07-4A55-8B55-3A9AA304B29D.jpeg
    Cheers
    Pete

7. Toby Garner

Toby Garner United States Subscriber

@Tony Press I'm with you there... Something about a white gas submerged, o-ring sealing pump that makes me a little nervous :)

@Scott D & @AussiePete I actually don't mind the 275s. I've had/have several and I find them to be good runners and the brown doesn't bother me too bad... For some reason I can't leave them behind when they're cheap :D

8. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

@Toby Garner - I reckon that’s the beauty of this hobby, there’s something for everyone. For me the 275 is just the wrong side of my usual interest cut off point due to the instructions on the lantern and the modern style knob. I just prefer the older styling. That said, if a 275 became available locally at a reasonable price I would struggle to turn it down. I think that the odd ball designs in any product range tend to end up with a cult following by collectors because that model stands out and sparks debate.

9. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I do like the blue colour though, a bit like the blue on a Dolphin lamp hood.

10. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in fine condition.:thumbup:

11. Hanzo

Its really not an odd ball design to Americans as it simply looks like the 1970's. The 275 epitomizes that 70's design aesthetic to us whether you collect or not. You can go back and look at camping photos from the period and see how the 275 fits right in. 275's were denigrated by the Coleman Collectors because it wasn't rare, old and was plentiful at garage sales. With the general rise of prices now 275's which collectors couldn't give away are selling for 100's of dollars. Collectors not calling them " turds" anymore .

12. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Well, I think they are all fab and would love either of em :-)

Shouldn’t think there’s too many of the Thermos ones about now though?