Scam calls.

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by JEFF JOHNSON, Nov 16, 2020.

1. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello fellow lampers, there are scam calls from some Asian call centre on the go again and they pretend to be from BT., when one picks up the phone, there is a recorded voice message which says that there is suspicious activity on your IP., address and because of that BT., are going to shut down your internet access, then some Asian person comes on and tries to convince you to go online and check some bogus information, which would give them access to your computer.

I hung up the phone and checked the phone number and it was a mobile phone number, BT., do not phone their customers from mobiles, I have reported this scam to BT..

2. broadgage

I used to get these calls repeadedly, sometimes several times a day.
    I seem to have stopped them after racialy insulting the callers. Not something that I am proud of or would normally do, but perhaps justified in the case of scammers.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

I did manage to remain polite, but I became suspicious very quickly, because BT., no longer use Asian call centres and even if they still did, the type of contract which I have with BT., means that I only get calls from UK., call centres.
    When I reported the scam to BT., I was told that scam activity had increased greatly since the pandemic started, because the scammers are aware that more folk are working from home.

4. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

I have had enormous enjoyment with some of these scammers when I have had time on my hands and devilment in my heart. It's amazing how angry they get when I repeatedly say I've done something they request me to do (which I haven't of course) but then say I've pressed the wrong key and could you start again from the beginning. I don't even have to be at my computer to string them along like this. I've been insulted by words I have never heard before and it is sometimes very difficult to keep from laughing. I only hope the telephone call costs them dearly. Forty seven minutes is my best effort so far.

Most of these scams are an attempt to gain control of your computer and usually involve Team Viewer, an app which lets them see your screen and use their mouse to click on anything they wish. There are many videos on YouTube where IT savvy folk have turned the tables on these scammers and deleted their files or rendered their computer useless.

5. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I hope it does cost them R100 but you must have more patience than I have. Life’s too short to hang on the end of a phone for more than the few seconds it takes to recognise a scammer before putting the phone down.

6. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

Not patience, just a sense of a small way I can kick back at these jerks.

7. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Speaking of Jerks and Scammers ... There seems to be a few around these days ... Calls from Amazon Prime trying to get you to send them cash ...:shock:

also TV licence finance defaults.. saying direct debit has not been paid and to get in touch and forward the licence fees ...what [-X

Also another from the Courts Tribunal saying you have been fined for driving a motor car along a road for which you are not authorised ... No vehicle detail , No time and date , No Road name ... just a TP Number for you ... poor sod .. to forward your cash to ... incredulously looks genuine .. it is a scam . :rage:

Finally ..

I have been informed from at least 2 sources of yet another scam from people who are trying to get your money.

Extremely sophisticated scam that involves all Banks. You get a message saying a payment hasn't been taken e.g. 02, Vodaphone, 3, Gif Gaf or EE and to click here. As soon as you touch it your money is gone. They already have all your details amd it's the most advanced scam the Banks have ever seen.

The Banks are being inundated with calls. Thousands of pounds are flying out of people's accounts. Please be vigilant and make your family and friends aware.

This has been confirmed by Martin Lewis the money Guru.

No clicking folks .. treat all with suspicion .. stay safe..:thumbup:

8. george United States

I get calls from some clown identifying himself as, "this is your police department", then asking for a donation! What police department?!! Real sharp... when you tell him you don't do charity over the phone he still wants a credit card number so he can get the ball rolling! I usually end by telling him to mail me the info and I'll see if I want to contribute. He then asks for a mailing address! I end it telling him, " if you have my phone nr dig deeper and find the mailing address!"

I get a lot of half wits trying to sell me an extended car warranty! We have one car, it's over 13 years old! What idiot is going to take out an extended warranty on a car that old?!! What a maroon!
    :rage::thumbdown:
    Strange... no calls concerning lamp/lantern restorations - yet! I'm prepared though!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

9. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Had all of the above mentioned by Alby except for maybe one or two. My most frequent call, text or email comes every time I renew my advert on Gumtree for a VL tank. Someone always has exactly what I’m looking for and I just have to send them some money and they will post one off to me right away.

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Over the mobile phone, I’ve had a disemboweled voice claiming to be from the Australian Tax Office stating that I have defaulted on my tax return and must make a payment immediately to avoid my imminent arrest by the police.

I’m a retired pensioner ........ :-k

11. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I was lways called by microsoft from India.
    Best way was to answer in dutch or like the last time I friendly said: "Hi my scam friend from India". Since then I am on a blacklist I guess since they don't call anymore.

12. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

Exact same thing here, just insert "Canada Revenue Agency". So polite of them to give you a second chance.

Mike.

13. george United States

I get phone calls all the time from the IRS, Internal Revenue Service, the Federal income tax people! The IRS has made it clear thru public service announcements to ignore these calls, they don't work that way! Still doesn't stop these clowns from trying.

14. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

@george, did they also anounce this in India, pakistan and other locations over there? :mrgreen:
    Guess not.

15. george United States

No, @WimVe they never say where they are calling from. The accent gives them away! [-X:thumbup:

16. Rustytank United States

I have been worn out by the vehicle warranty callers. I sometimes string them along about the benefits of of their service and then try to buy a warranty for whatever long forgotten car pops to mind. Guy didnt even know what a Studebaker Lark was!

17. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Pfff. What an ignorant fellow he must have been.

18. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hum..

Actually, I wouldn't mind one of those.. Reminds me of a Hillman... just a little..

Did you ever own one @Rustytank then?

19. Rustytank United States

Sadly no but a friend used to have one. Sold it in the 80's though.

20. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I am really pleased to see this being discussed and that the good people of this forum are more than a little "savvy" on this topic. However the scammers are getting better and better as large organised crime moves into this area and freely exchange knowledge, data and "services" cross-border. Gone are the days of clumsily worded emails in Nigerian English.

As cash falls from use and therefore circulation, scamming is becoming more lucrative in comparison to robbery. Lockdowns and quarantines have adversly affected burglars, muggers/pickpockets, begging gangs and drug dealers. Like all businesses they are "following the money" - notably in our cases to our bank accounts.

The same scams can be used in different and sometimes simultaneous mediums including paper letters, emails, phone calls and even personal calls. Email addresses and phone numbers can be "spoofed" so communications can appear reaslistic. Anyone that asks for any personal or financial detail must be treated with suspicion. Be aware that they may already know about you and some of your details already which can allow them to appear authentic.

The message here is that as they up their game so must we all. In the UK reported scamming is worth £3.5 Billion per annum. Some agencies estimate that only 5% of sucessful scams are reported so this number could be far greater.

In the UK we have a fraud reporting website. I would encourage anyone in the UK to report any attempted scam here: Action Fraud

They monitor and collate scamming atempts and do take action where they can and build up overall pictures of activity to help legal agencies.

Stay safe..

Chris

21. MYN

I've heard of all these being pretty prevalent in my area too.
    But then, I've never received any of them so far. I think it could be due to the complete absence of online transactions via my mobile. I do not even own a desktop computer or have any kind of fixed telecommunications line at home. So there's nothing to be had. No access to any banks or financial institutions. I'm almost living a hermit.
    Should anyone access or hack into my mobile, the only stuffs they'd find would be a bunch of boring old files and catalogues in pdf. No personal particulars, no photos of myself, no addresses, nothing...
    I don't even set the list of phone contacts by the names of any individual. I'd just recognize the numbers when I see them.
    I'd find nothing in my phone that could be of interest to any serious scammer, or even to myself.:)

22. broadgage

I have had a scam email stating that a friend who is visiting India has run over and injured a sacred cow. Please send money for vet bills or risk serious consequences from the religous police.

I suggested killing the animal and making it into burgers.

23. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Well you remind me of a documentary about India in which they where trying to get a peek into the huge slaughter industry.
    In which indeed also cows where slaughtered.
    I think as in many cases money is more holy then the holy cow.

24. JEFF JOHNSON

I received two scam letters through the post this week, both were from the same source, I don't recall all of the details, but a Japanese millionaire had supposedly passed on etc., etc., I filed those letters in the bruck/rubbish bag.

25. george United States

I called these, "dead letter offerings"! I had more "dead relatives" in Africa leaving me money then I did "living relatives in the US! :rage::thumbdown:

26. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello George, that's a good name for them!:thumbup:

27. JEFF JOHNSON

I received another scam call today, apparently, a charge of about £800 had been sent to my Visa card, which is very odd, because I do not have a Visa card.

28. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Yea, the missus had a call last week concerning a PayPal account she doesn't have.

29. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Today's BBC news: "Fraud epidemic 'is now national security threat'" - it is a feeding frenzy out there... To be quite honest I don't even answer the phone anymore...

30. george United States

All over the place!!! I've had to now telling me my credit card has a $4000 charge on it and they process it ASAP but they need more information, really ballsy...