Sea Anchor Petromax clone/petromax lead Vap washers

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by plantpot, Aug 29, 2019.

1. plantpot

plantpot United States Subscriber

Hi Folks,

I have got a new Sea Anchor lamp/petromax clone? (I know they are not all that good!, and they are really not!) just to mess around with and the bottom lead washer is leaking

I cant seem to source these washers anywhere, can you get them in the UK? If so do you know where? I have tried fettlebox but none listed. I don't need a whole kit, just a few washers.

Does anyone know if there is an alternative I can use to the lead vapouriser (bottom near tank) washer? I guess its lead because of the pressure needed in these lanterns, or the heat, so viton or rubber would be no good? Perhaps you can put me right on this?

Anyone replaced these? any tips I can use?

Anyone know or should the lamp visit the great trashcan in the sky?

Thanks!

2. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

I think the only way is to find a bit of lead and hammer it flat, then cut a new washer. Not as daunting as it sounds, made easier if you get some punches. Others here will have solutions I’m sure.

Good luck with the lamp, Stevie

3. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@plantpot Are you sure it's leaking at the lead washer and not at the hex fitting ?

On the German website Detailseite: Ersatzteil- und Zubehörliste "Petromax 500 HK, Geniol 500 HK und Hipolito 500 HK I see that they're offering a high temperature O ring instead of a lead washer. (90) elastischer O-Ring - 500 HK · temperaturbeständig -30°C bis 200° C

Alternatively, take out the lower vapouriser, (I recommend holding the hexagonal fitting with a spanner), leaving the lead washer in place, put 2 or 3 of turns of PTFE tape round the threads and re-install. Use Gas quality PTFE tape - it's thicker !

Tip. Count the turns when you unscrew the vapouriser then you know how far to go when re-installing.
    You may have to do this twice to get it right, i.e. tight enough to not leak and maintaining correct orientation of valve.

Henry.

4. george

george United States Subscriber

Not sure exactly what's leaking, but are you sure Petromax lead washers won't work? I have a couple Chinese lanterns and I've usually been able to fit the Pmax washers.

5. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

Is that part no:90? If so PM me your address & I'll send a couple out. Pretty sure I made a batch a year or so back & forgot about them. You can have them for free - just tell me if they worked!

Annotation 2019-08-29 175456.jpg

6. MYN

If lead washers are not available, PTFE tape, as mentioned by @Henry Plews would work. It doesn't get too hot for the PTFE to handle at that part.
    Its less authentic of course but PTFE is resistant to almost all( if not all) known organic solvents, fuels included. Its also highly chemical-resistant. Strong acids and alkalis included. Its also among the most heat-resistant polymers known.
    I'd say its more resistant than Viton in this respect.

7. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

@plantpot
    Check the spare parts for the Anchor lantern on Base-Camp’s website and see of what you might need.

Magnalux Lantern Spares

Are you unsure so give them a call.

They have a very high knowledge of lanterns so they can most probably help you out.

An very easy solution is like BigStevie says, make your own.

Easiest is to talk with an electrican and try to get an old cable with a lead sheild.

Cut it open and you will have a nice flat lead sheet and then you only need to cut a round washer out of it or maybe two if needed.

Edit: I see after posting this that you have got a decent offer from spiritburner.

Michael

8. plantpot

Thanks folks for all the replies!

I just love the way everyone helps, and all the knowledge on this amazing site from all over the world. I blows me away!

Thanks again!

9. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I thought I'd post a quick update on Sea Anchors as I've just bought a new one as well.

Make sure the leak is where you think it is. I added copper wire around the pricker rod to solve the slight pulsing problem which meant taking the frame and burner/hood away first. Having wrapped the copper wire around and assembled it all again (which is bloody fiddly as you can't see where the central screw goes!) I primed the pre-heat cup and waited for it to finish and pumped until the mantle was glowing properly.

All seemed OK until I tried a few more pumps as someone mentioned they found 1.5 on the pressure gauge was a sweet spot and noticed fuel leaking from what I thought was the lead fuel pickup washer. Investigating I found it was actually coming from the pricker control valve and dribbling down, making it seem as though it was from the lead washer. I tightened the pricker gland nut and found that it was barely finger tight! Having re-tightened it sufficiently I wiped away the excess fuel and made sure I'd cured the leak which had now stopped.

It's now running without pulsing and doesn't leak.

BTW the best way to add copper wire round the pricker rod is to take the frame and burner assembly away, undo the jamb nut and carefully pull the vaporiser and Preston loop away being careful not to damage the pricker wire. Then, take the copper wire and hold one end at the bottom of the rod with some pliers and wind the wire round and round leaving some space between the coils. When there's enough, cut the wire and use the pliers to make sure the wire ends are tight against the rod otherwise you won't be able to get the vaporiser/Preston loop back on again. Reassemble everything, tighten the jamb nut and put the frame/burner/hood back. If all's well, you should have cured the pulsing.

If you're worried about damaging the pricker wire you can remove it before you wind the copper wire.

Hope this helps

10. plantpot

@ColinG

thats great info, I will check it out thanks!

11. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

12. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

13. ColinG

Several sellers on eBay have narrow strips of lead in different thicknesses for very little money so I've ordered some. I have a set of hole punches so pretty soon I should be able to make my own lead washers. I made one with some lead roof flashing and although it works it's a bit too thick.

14. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

You buy lead from ebay ??
    I am supprised because every plumber in you neighbourhood has left overs. If not check the roofer or how the guy is called who fixes your roof.

15. ColinG

I have indeed got lead from a roofing guy who gave me a piece of scrap he didn't want but it's nearly 3mm thick! The stuff I've just got from eBay is a small roll of 1mm thick for a negligible amount... maybe £1 from memory.

I never spend money if I don't have to!

16. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

I have to measure the original but 3mm doesn't sound to thick.
    some people use two ring just to get the angle correct.

17. Matti Kucer

Matti Kucer Sweden Subscriber

@ColinG Do you have a link maybe?

18. ColinG

19. ColinG

Just checked and it's cheaper on Amazon!

20. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

It's a long time since I measured a genuine spare lead washer but from memory, that sounds about right. Neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned, I use PTFE tape.

Henry.

21. Scotlamp

Scotlamp United Kingdom Subscriber

bian-world 8mm id and 10mm id lead washers 10 x 16 and 8 x 12