Show your best alcohol-lamp

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Claus C, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Claus C

After introduction from Chuck Hays:

Introduction

It was first then I noticed the Pömmel-lamp, Hugo Schneider nr. 2 existed. This type of princip is not approved as a pressure-lamp though it actually cannot burn without the selfmade pressure after preheating.

The gravity-lamps are approved to be in the gallery but as a Group for them self and no problems with that.

I will start with a old known one I just got the globe for, the Wiktorin-table lamp:

1407926119-Wiktorin_023_opt.jpg

1407926160-Wiktorin_026_opt.jpg

1407926195-Wiktorin_027_opt.jpg 1407926222-Wiktorin_028_opt.jpg

Cleaning will be done some day and it is to be seen in action from Conny's fine youtube link under Chuck Hays introduction.

But I couldnt help thinking there must be some other nice alcoholburners out there pressurized or not and I would like to see what is hiding out there if anything is ?

Claus C

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
  2. Digout

Digout Australia Subscriber

Very Nice :thumbup:

3. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Well, why not contribute with a HS2. It's not my best alcohol lamp as this topic asks, but it's nice and well built.
    The font is a bit on the small side, but still better than the honey jar I used for the first test with this HS2 burner. :lol:
    Sooner or later I will run into a more suitable font, but it's no hurry.

1408032095-hs_2.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi Claus,

Here are my "two" best non-pressure alcohol lamps; the Wiktorin 5000 (my avatar) and the Gral no.1 Hugo Schneider lamp.

/Conny

1408283597-Wiktorin_and_Gral_in_action.jpg

Attached Files:

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Great lamps!

6. Claus C

Stunning lamps Conny :thumbup: I hope my Wiktorin will look just a bit like that soon. I already started cleaning O:)

Claus C

7. chays

Beautiful, Christer!

Now...how do you keep the burner from heating up the font too much? I have a tightly packed wick bundle (mop strands) but it still blows back. I'm guessing some stainless gauze over the top of the wick bundle may be needed?

So much about these lamps has been forgotten and we have to learn it all over again!

8. Juan

I'm not sure if it is my best alcohol lamp but at least is my only one in working order.
    It is a Comalumbra, made in Argentina in the '30s. They are supposed to run on "alcohol carburado" which seems to be ( or used to be as no one knows) a mixture of alcohol and some carbon fuel. It runs fine on alcohol.
    It gives a decent and brilliant light, perhaps the half of a good working 100 cp lantern. 30 - 50 cp?
    1408889080-P1070691.jpg 1408889096-P1070697.jpg 1408889113-P1070698.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Claus C

WoW Juan. You always surprise me in a good way. I have never heard of this lamp. :D/
    I would like to see the burnersystem one day without mantle and gallery. :-k
    It seems to be like the Tito Landi, HS2, but something is different in the top and side of the burner.
    It also looks like it has a inboard preheatercup. The stick on the side is that for adjusting the wick??
    And it gives a awesome light :thumbup:
    What a nice lamp Juan. Thanks for sharing.

Claus C

10. Juan

I'll take some pictures of it taken apart. It works in a similar way to Tito Landi lamps and no, the lever works opening or restricting the valve/jet.
    I have three of these lamps, one with the same brand but made in Germany.

11. Juan

Here they are.
    1408923262-P1070700.jpg 1408923278-P1070701.jpg 1408923291-P1070702.jpg 1408923374-P1070704.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Claus C

Nice Pictures Juan and the lamp just came on my wishlist.
    It doesnt look like a "copy". They did some thinking and futher designwork apparantly to a existing burnerprincip. Me like :thumbup:
    Do you know if these lamps ever came with a shade besides the chimney?

Claus C

13. Claus C

Hi Conny

This HugoSchneider Gral no.1:

Show your best alcohol-lamp

How does the fuel run? Is the fuel transported by a wick or the associated vats principle in some way?

Claus C

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2021
  14. Juan

That is not a problema as I have three of these but you will have to wait because I'm very short in time and to deliver (and receive) anything from Argentina needs a lot of time and patience: I still have to send a lantern I boughe a lot of time ago.

I could see some reflectors on some old advertises but there were no good uqality drawings so I don't know how are they fixed to the lamp.

Juan

15. Conny C

Claus - The HS Gral No.1 uses a wick for transporting the fuel to the burner and in that way it is not a gravity lamp as the Wiktorin, but still an alcohol fed lamp.

1409405657-HS__Gral_1_burner_head_with_wick.jpg

Juan - that burner has been on my wish list for the al

last year, since I got the Helios S.A Comalumbra catalogue. The burner uses a patent from the French inventor Louis Denayrouce.

/Conny

1409405861-Comalumbra_burner_lamps.jpg 1409405972-Comalumbra_burner.jpg 1409406044-Comalumbra_burner_instructions.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Juan

Nice papers, Conny. Are both from the same origine or perhaps the second one is from Uruguay? I was looking on internet and I found something about "denayrouzine", which seems to be the same as the "alcoluz" alcohol but all of the files I found where from old Uruguayan magazines showing the same lamps.

Why do you say that the patent is from Denayrouze? I could find some images and is not the same burner. Here there is an article on the Lamp Guild: Lampguild

17. Juan

18. Juan

And this one is from a 1920 yearbook: Uruguay yearbook. Here they mention the brand Comalumbra.

19. Conny C

Hi Juan,

I believe the "Denayrouzine" concept is associated with the French inventor Louis Denayrouze as he from at least 1895 to 1908 issued a dozen patents with numerous drawings of many different types of wick fed mantle burners. I've also seen paperwork that use "Denayrouze" as a generic term for a certain type of both gasoline and alcohol fed early wick burners. The one you refer to from Lamp Guild is the burner that was launched in France by Boler as the "Boler" burner.

However there are also Denayrouze patent drawings that is quite different and in many ways looks like the Comalumbra burner, see attached drawings no 6,7 and 9. I have no doubt that Comalumbra is an original made South American burner, but made from original patents of Louis Deanayrouze. The Helios catalogue comes from Montevideo, so Uruguay is the probably the origin for these lamps. I've also found a Comalumbra ad from Buenos Aires so maybe it is a product spread to the whole South American continent.

/Conny

1409528563-Helios_catalogue.jpg 1409528585-Comalumbra_Buenos_Aires_ad.jpg 1409528625-DENAYROUZE_LOUIS_CH33277A_patent_drawings.jpg 1409528706-Comalumbra_instruction_sheet.jpg 1409528721-Boler_ad.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  20. Juan

Well, the lamp is clearly from Argentina: Compañía Argentina de Alumbrado a Alcohol means right that. Helios alzó was an Argentino company. They calle Denayrouzine the fuel, later called alcoluz.
    Yes, mostró probably derivated from Denayrouze and that's why they calles so the fuel.
    They say the lamp is 70 cp. Perhapswith the right fuel...

21. Juan

Reading at the papers some interesting points:

1. To use the right fuel, Denayrouzine here and Alcoluz in the later products / papers, seems to be very important. One of my lamps run fine on alcohol, but perhaps it could be much better with the proper fuel.
    2. They say that the lamps shall be cleaned at their offices every five months and they give instructions on how the burner should be shipped.

I guess that the fuel not only gaves better light but also it makes some kind of residues which have to be removed. On the wick?

22. didier Argentina

hi, i just bought 3 of them... but like usually incomplete. who does the cap looks like (the burner hat with coat, that is hanging on the hammer?

23. didier Argentina

24. didier Argentina

how to put the jacket on?? what is the size of the jacket? where can i buy these.

25. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Dider, "Camisa" o "Mantilla" = "Mantle" in English
    You will probably have to make one from another mantle for a different lamp, or you may be luckier closer to home.

26. Conny C

Hi Didier,

I think most likely an Aladdin Upright mantle would fit on your burner!

/Conny

Aladdin-Upright-Mantle.jpg

27. Juan

Hi Didier.

I made my own mantle because you won't find any inverted mantle in Argentina.

Your lamp has missed a little cap with a wire net on the burner's top.

The fuel used was "alcohol carburado". Over the years I researched a lot but I could never find an answer to the question: what does "alcohol carburado" mean. I use regular ethanol on this lamp and it works. Not a great light but it does something, at least...

28. didier Argentina

29. didier Argentina

Hi Juan,
    are you from Argentina? but right imposible to find the mantle. i will try with ethanol too and i will let you know.
    as you can see in the picture, i also made one on my own. with 2 circles inside... a small on the top and a bigger on the bottom... looks good i must say.

pS> this street latern has been modified with a electric lamp. but they did not changed fysically the latern... the last latern on Kerosene worked in Buenos Aires till the 1931

he last Buenos Aires bluff, 1931.
    AGN_DDF / Box 489, inv: 75916.

On April 1, the municipality installed 208 alcohol lanterns in the city, reaching a maximum of 2424 lanterns installed in 1918, which were replaced due to the shortage of alcohol during the Second World War (1914-1918), they were replaced by kerosene lanterns, until 1920 when alcohol lanterns were put into service again, reaching their peak in 1927 with more than 5000 lanterns installed, these devices were in charge From different groups of the lighting management that having the function of lighting them, recharging the fuel and their general maintenance, these characters who carried their stairs on their shoulders wandered through these forgotten streets were «Los Faroleros».

Final of the bluffs

Given the advance of the massive arrival of electricity that was already installed in a large part of the city, it only needed to reach our neighborhoods and those that were north of Villa Luro, the then Mayor Jose Guerrico is going to "radiate" this system a March 19, 1931 symbolically turning off the last alcohol lantern on the corner of av. Del Trabajo (current Eva Perón) and Escalada on the demarcation of the Villa Lugano, Mataderos and Parque Avellaneda neighborhoods, with this act a typical character of that time will also disappear who would walk our streets «El Farolero» providing this important service this last section of alcohol lanterns was distributed in av. From Work between Lacarra and Pola streets ...

30. didier Argentina