Solar 200cp

Discussion in 'Solar' started by norf, Mar 30, 2012.

1. norf

a well known internet auction site purchase..much maligned chinese effort but I quite like it ,lit first pop after many years in the box,,,the little meths bottle split its sides first time i tried to use it,,,natty little pressure gauge,,,great help from base camp who supplied me with a glass for a fiver with the message not to expect too much,,its lasted the first hour... 1333133783-solar_003.JPG 1333133797-solar_004.JPG 1333133819-solar_001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello, those Solar lanterns are actually well made, they are constructed mostly from brass and are far better than the Anchor lanterns etc., Jeff.

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Solar were made by the Union Metal Works in Hong Kong. Same guys that built Unimet product and as Jeff says they are better than most from that area. ::Neil::

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've got two of these from the batch that came over for the 'three day weeks' in the early 70s. Fortunately / unfortunately, these ended before the shipment arrived so the importer was left with them on his hands.

I've just checked one of them over - the glass is surprisingly thick considering these are from the far East. I do know there have been some cheap, thin low-quality Chinese globes on sale at Base-Camp so I suppose the £5 one is one of those.

What I hadn't noticed before is that the ceramic burner cap (part G6) is missing. :evil:

I've seen happier bunnies in a butcher's shop window... :-& :cry:

5. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

I have the 500cp version with a broken globe that obviously needs replacing, but yes, a fair quality lantern IMHO !

6. norf

The fiver base camp glass has solar etched on the glass,,,,they offered me a better quality glass,,but as the son of a scotsman i settled on the cheap version,,,they have the ceramic cap in stock as well.Pleased to hear that the solar is one of the better clones,Union metal were in hong kong so i'll put the better quality down to the british influence..

7. David Shouksmith

You know what they say - "you buy cheap, you buy twice" ;) :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up about the ceramic nozzle... :thumbup:

8. Mick Emm

Mick Emm Founder Member

The source of Solar contamination !
    Er ! Myself ( Mick ) and two other lamp and stove collectors who will no doubt preferre to remain nameless are the exclusive sourse of the influx of Solar lamps.
    Any lamps in your collections around Great Britain and all the known islands and even as far as Australia since 1974 came out of our container !
    I personelly have shifted over 600 of these lamps in the last nine years and now you are all going to tell me you got them from some one else ! well that " some one else " got them from us !!
    Solar lamps some are really good and some were just fit for the railway embankment !
    I was only charging a tenner each for my pile out of the container and it got me a new Combi gas boiler and pipework and rads to match !
    Mick

9. David Shouksmith

Och aye, the noo..!

Since, by your own admission above, it's your fault mine came without a ceramic nozzle, the question is, do you still have any left lying about? [-o< :lol:

10. Mick Emm

Mick Emm Founder Member

Hi !
    Maybe we have some spares . I'll have to contact one of my partners in crime to see whats left !

Every time any one talks about or shows me a pic of a Solar lamp I just crack up with laughter !

You used to be at the early stove gatherings at the top end of the field Dave , so surly you remember me surround by these ******!!! Lamps.
    mick

11. David Shouksmith

:oops: :doh: I think you may have just reminded me I think I said I'd let you have one. Remind me again just before Newark and I'll bring one down with me... :thumbup:

Bring the lantern too - you'll have hours of fun getting it to run... :lol:

12. Mick Emm

Mick Emm Founder Member

Hi !
    Most of the Solar lamp spares went to Len and Renata Ralph in Ipswich to be sold on , as and when collectors needed replacment parts !
    mick

13. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

No matter David ! Trevor (shag) sorted me out soon after Ashover :thumbup: cheers anyways ;)