Solar heater

Discussion in 'Solar' started by Bo Ryman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bo Ryman

Bo Ryman Founder Member Subscriber

Here is my last restoring object, a Solar heater.
    As been told in other topics, this brand seems to be very solid and of high quality.
    This one looks like a copy of a Tilley and a Bialladdin but I have no idea when it was made.
    It is not very old, maybe from the 60:s?
    The most spectacular of this one is the fittings and the guard itself. Must be unique for this model. One odd thing to note, is the not symmetrical placed air inlet tube. A bit hard to see on the image though. No idea why it is that way.
    Unfornately is the pump knob not original and the pressure meter/filler cap looks like it has been modified. Anyone that knows how the original looks?

1363210903-CIMG7207.JPG 1363210913-CIMG7208.JPG 1363210892-CIMG7206.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Good one - if it hadn't been for the word 'Solar' on the front I'd have thought it was a Tilley R1 with an earlier burner fitted. The control cock knob does look like Bialaddin.

I've no idea why the air intake is offset, though - perhaps to save you coming into contact with it when you picked the heater up (not that you were supposed to move a heater whilst it was lit...)

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Bo, I recall that one of those heaters was listed on Ebay Canada several years ago, perhaps this it?

I'm not sure when it was made, perhaps in the early 1970's.

Perhaps you could post a close up photo of the pressure gauge as I cannot tell from the current photo if it has been modified.

Great find! :thumbup:

4. Bo Ryman

Bo Ryman Founder Member Subscriber

Here some photos showing the pressure meter.
    The base is original I guess, maybe also the cover but the I am doubtful about the glass.
    It is plastic and has a rim that makes the cover rise from the base when mounted. Maybe the original had a glass plate. Signs from a small stop screw is also visible, now broken.
    I believe this item was used on all Solar products so maybe someone has an original and can tell what it looks like.

1363291295-CIMG7215.JPG 1363291306-CIMG7216.JPG 1363291351-CIMG7217.JPG 1363291411-CIMG7218.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  5. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello BO, the link below shows a Solar lantern and there is a good close up photo of the pressure gauge, Jeff.

Solar 200cp

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2018
  6. Stovost

Stovost United States Subscriber

Greetings,

I've recently taken on the restoration of a similar heater to yours, a Unimet Heater and I'll need a new Pressure Meter for it, as well as seals and such. A new Mantle would be in order, as well. Have yet to dismantle the device and haven't found if the Vaporizer and Cock Valve are in working order, also. Do you know where I might obtain these needed parts?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Steve
    "Stovost"

7. stormie4me

Steve; i take it by now that you are not interested in the FL-6 i offered you; i know at one time you were wanting to trade for one;that is fine as i'm sure they will be others whom might be ;

8. Stovost

9. JEFF JOHNSON

If you have a Petromax lantern, perhaps you could try the one from it and if it fits then there are plenty of rough Anchor lanterns around and they use the same threads as Petromax.

10. Stovost

Jeff,

Unfortunately, I don't have a Petromax, or Anchor Lantern to sample the part from. Would really like to chat with Bo Ryman directly! (I've private messaged him, but no reply, yet) I've a few questions to ask about the Heater's Burner/Mantle configuration, and he appears to be the only other person with one, at least in similar design, as mine!

After questioning the seller of an aftermarket Pressure Meter on eBay, as to the possible fit of his item, to the Unimet Heater and my mentioning the possible Thread Pitch and Size mismatch, he's inquired to what the Thread Pitch and Size is of the Unimet Heater. Not knowing it, but from you're thinking that a Petromax Cap might fit my Unimet, would you happen to know the Thread Pitch and Size, of a Petromax, with the hopeful possibility, that the Unimet is the Same?

The searching for parts, is a lot of times tougher than the Fettle!

Steve

11. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

..Hi Steve,

...Just seen your thread here.....I'll go over to the wash house and see if I can have a look....
    ...might be a little while...

Regards,

PB

12. Stovost

Thanks PB!!!!!!!!

13. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

....Well, I'm not sure how much help this will be?

The Anchor gauge fits on an old Austrian tank I found so this does seem to confirm the 'swap-ability' factor.... :thumbup:

..Measured it and nearest I can judge it's 22mm but can't find my thread gauges anywhere so unable to confirm the pitch.. :(

But if you have found someone selling the Anchor gauge at least you can be sure it will fit???

Best wishes,

Pb

14. Stovost

Thanks for all your help, Pb! Members like you, make this a great group!
    Steve

15. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Steve, are there any other collectors in your area?

I know that many members of CCF., own examples of the Petromax type of lanterns and they are helpful folk.

I had to use an Anchor filler cap/pressure gauge on one of my Petromax lanterns and on my Optimus lantern and they do the job, Jeff.