1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solder at the base of my Bialaddin 305?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Manlee, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Manlee

I have so far cleaned up a Bialaddin 300 and a Tilley Guardsman. My oldest brother has now put in a request for a paraffin lamp so i am happy to oblige. The Model i have found at a boot fair is a believe a 305. However along the base there seems to be a silver strip about 3 mm thick. if i buff this will it go to brass? or is this a solder mark thats not on my 300? Should i simply paint it instead? I would normally leave the bottom rim bare brass and paint the rest of the fount

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON Subscriber

Photographs will help us to assist you, however, the 305 tank can suffer from stress cracks on that bottom rim.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Yes, in my experience, when Vapalux and Bialaddin tanks are stripped, patches of solder are often visible around the bottom rim. I don't think many of these tanks were sold with a plain brass finish i.e. no coating or clear lacquer, so a complete re-spray seems the way to restore them to original appearance - which also serves my purpose admirably...

4. longilily

longilily Subscriber

Hey Tobe, good to see you back

We'll have to catch up again ;)

5. Manlee

Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. A simple respray over the whole fount will do fine. Lonelily, long time and nice to be back. Young children and a large garden have kept my to-do list rather full, but glad winter is approaching again so i can tinker in the garage. Sure i will come up with an excuse to pop over soon friend

6. Manlee

Pics as requested. This looks professional and the bottom of the lamp is not blown. Thoughts before i spend much time fixing it. Can someone also confirm it is a 305?
    IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2099.JPG

7. Mackburner

Mackburner Founder Member Subscriber

The model number should be marked on the collar. However the 300 and 305 are near identical. The only difference I have seen is on a 300 the globe cage rods are riveted in place and in 305 they are held in with small machine screws. ::Neil::

8. Manlee

It does have screws rather than rivets. But the collar shows no markings at all. Dark green paint is on it in patches but no other markings at all. Would this be military?

9. Mackburner

Sounds like a 305 then. I can't remember seeing an unmarked example so that is perhaps rather odd. Military? Who knows? Air ministry stuff in grey was sometimes marked but in general army green were not. It is a civillian model and the army used civillian lamps so maybe or maybe not. ::Neil::

10. Simon Cresswell

How can you tell it is civilian. Pardon my ignorance
    Large fillers I thought we'e ministry.
    Looking for advice rearly on types of lanterns
    Thanks
    Simon

11. Mackburner

It is not safe to assume anything with these lamps. You can only be sure a lamp was military if it has the broad arrow or Air Ministry crown. W&B just made lamps and whatever they turned out that week went to wherever. A military order could well have seen a factory over run sold to Joe Public. The large filler is military spec but the model was also on general sale. ::Neil::

12. Simon Cresswell

Cheers thanks for that. Never knew about the arrow or crown.
    Still learning.