1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spain - Klaebisch No.425 Hanging Lamp - 1949

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by Alfons, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Alfons Germany

Hello everybody ,
    I got a Spanish hanging lamp, built 1949 at Klabebisch Barcelona. During the test, I put pressure on the tank, at first it was tight. After 2 minutes, the pressure relief valve has changed. If I close the cap tightly,
    Can I put this lamp into operation without the valve?
    I'm sure someone can give me a tip, thanks in advance.
    Greeting Alfons

7BFAF736-D9A3-42B2-A99D-6091D9BEDBF8.jpeg CA1DD4A6-FE40-455A-B54B-B6A3474C36ED.jpeg 77899C44-9CB8-467D-B5C6-80EE92888739.jpeg 3ADF3A25-C33A-486A-B033-393D6478AC9F.jpeg 4DE186BC-AE6B-48F1-8372-7A1F683B8842.jpeg 4AF07CED-60FE-416E-9B22-65841D7B4564.jpeg 030845DF-FD8C-45B3-A41B-F09906BC6CA4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

This is a new one to me. I know of Klaebisch but was not aware they had made this. I can't see that it has a pressure relief valve. It has a pressure release valve and I can see a pricker control and an inlet valve. It dioes not appear to have a main control shut off valve. I would assume it is a kero lamp although the catalogue seems to suggest it is an alcohol lamp.

That catalogue page is very interesting and I would very much like to see any more of that catalogue you may have. I don't have any paper for Klaebisch and it may have information that would be of great interest to me. ::Neil::

3. Martin K.

Martin K. Germany Subscriber

Couldn't it really be a "nearly" gravity lamp that was made for alcohol burning? This would also explain the large/flat design of the vaporizer (the part named "gasificador" on the paperwork). And I also doubt that the even bottom plate of the tank would stand much pressure.
    So it won't need much pressurizing with the pump (bomba, also shown), but uses a safety pressure relief valve (valvula seguridad, also shown) to prevent it from overburning in case the tank would get too hot.
    Ludwig Gebauer from Germany has built some neat alcohol lamps that only need 0.2-0.3bar pressure and function very well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  4. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

It's absolutely meant for alcohol. Atleast if it's identical to the No.425 in the catalogue since it says it's exclusively meant for alcohol there.
    And it has a pump and pressure gauge, so surely meant to be pumped up.
    But I do agree that the tank doesn't look like it's mean't for too much pressure.

5. Alfons Germany

I did not put to much pressure on the Tank in my opinion. Could it be that the lamp got some cracks because of the older? The pressure gauge has a range up to 1.5 bar. (See picture)

@neil: I‘ll send you a message regarding the catalogue.

8131B107-4FE4-4764-B569-D7814DE50ADD.jpeg 6BA98F22-E32C-46FC-974A-C2CF6175238A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Martin K.

@Alfons
    the simplest way to find out is to make a water dunk test: just pressurize the empty fount and put it in a bucket of water. The bubbles will show you where's the problem. And all of the old cork or rubber sealings should of course be replaced, since they will likely have hardened over time.
    Old parts made from brass sheet is often prone to develop stress cracks. If that's the case I'd not use the lamp any more. Even with a POR15 lining a leakage could eventually cause a catastrophic accident. Not only that alcohol is much more flammable than kerosene, the tank is mounted on top of the lamp. So please be extra careful with that old lady.

7. Alfons Germany

Matin thanks for the answer, are you in May in Sassenberg? I bring the lamp with me.
    I took the great work of Ludwig in one, or two times already marvel at.

8. Martin K.

Sorry, not in Sassenberg, but I plan to go to the Coleman meeting at Lengerich and to Leipzig.
    Maybe you can make a weekend's daytime visit at Lengerich?

9. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A very interesting find!:thumbup:

10. bp4willi Germany

Hi Martin,
    then we might meet in Lengerich.
    I guess I'll be there around somewhen 29.4. to 1.5.
    Nice to meet you.
    Regards
    Willi

11. MYN Malaysia

What a nice find. Obviously, you guys in Europe have a far greater variety of pressure lamps to get your hands on than me. Well, I would have to admit that I'm helplessly envious.