'Spares or Repair'

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Jan 16, 2020.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I saw the Superb going for a relatively OK price but managed to knock the seller down a bit. It's for spares. The fount might be OK if it's polished and checked for stress cracks.

The W&B frame is an interesting design - not one I'm familiar with - and will be married up to a straight sided brass fount I picked up over Christmas.

IMG_20200116_214820_5.jpg

IMG_20200116_214844_5.jpg

IMG_20200116_214858_9.jpg

IMG_20200116_214914_6.jpg

IMG_20200116_214930_0.jpg

IMG_20200116_214936_6.jpg

IMG_20200116_215050_7.jpg

IMG_20200116_215131_1.jpg

Both items are 'as is' apart from the hood that I couldn't resist cleaning. It's not as good as I'd hoped.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's useful to have donor lamps/lanterns/parts!:thumbup:

3. ColinG

Definitely, particularly with Veritas lamps!

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's correct!:thumbup:

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@ColinG
    It’s good that you’re able to find Veritas stuff. If the fount is sound, it would be a great challenge to get her going.
    In my upcoming road trip I’ll be looking for a 350 for Norman whilst keeping an eye out for parts and stuff.
    To date I’m very pleased with how my Veritas lanterns operate, they exhibit no fuss or bother at lighting and run very well.
    Within our illuminated community, I know that the Veritas lanterns have been labelled with a dubious reputation, undoubtedly earned, however with my 3 examples, I’ve had none of the reported bad behaviour.
    Perhaps I’ve been very lucky. I do like these Veritas lanterns.
    Cheers
    Pete

6. ColinG

I've stripped the Superb down to it's component parts and so far I think the control assembly seems sound apart from the pricker arm that had been bent and sheered off when I tried to straighten it out. I can fix that. The pricker mechanism was stick but a little WD-40 freed that very quickly. The pricker rod is corroded inside the generator but I think it'll come free if I'm careful but I have no idea if the needle/wire is intact... it'll be a miracle if it is! The fount was full of rusty dust and is lightly corroded on the base so it'll need more inspection and a pressure test. The collar looks OK and will probably buff up nicely. The upper part including the steel base is moderately corroded and is sitting in vinegar.

So, there will be some useful spares at the very least.... Oh and the bail is rusty but after a vinegar bath, it'll be ok.

7. ColinG

...and as for the performance of my Superbs... it's hard to know what to say. Both mine are great... easy to start and burn brightly. Very Coleman type performance in that they just work.

8. ColinG

I was wondering if the Superb might be gently coaxed back to life... the fount looked promising...

IMG_20200122_174406_4.jpg

The base plate had a few rust patches so I used Rust Destructor on it and all seemed well until I tested the darker patches with a scribe.... oh dear...

IMG_20200122_174335_6.jpg

IMG_20200122_174346_1.jpg

Oh well, I've scavenged some useful parts which is why I bought it in the first place. I'd consider patching the old girl up but some of the rust runs around the inside of the rim

9. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Colin,

It's too bad the fount has holes and then there's the rust inside, but you have some very useful parts for any further projects. If you do decide to patch the holes you already have the process down pat that's for sure.

Cheers,
    Norman

10. ColinG

The base plate is steel whereas the rest is brass. If they'd used brass it probably would have survived... then again it might have ballooned.

11. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@ColinG
    Bugger, what is it with those scribes, they do that all the time .....
    As you say all is not lost, she was a spare parts cow, but hey, maybe you could resurrect the fount later, it’ll be a challenge worth thinking on.
    Cheers
    Pete