I've been fiddling with my one and only genuine Petromax trying to cure it's stinky ways. This has been going on for a few months now and I thought I'd cracked it at last but not quite. The culprit was the jet and how it locates onto the top of the Preston loop. I added some copper based thread compound in an attempt to seal any leaks but it didn't work! Instead I saw tiny bubbles coming from the joint but at least that was confirmation. I spent nearly a day filing, checking, adding black marker to see where the two surfaces weren't mating. After months of fiddling it's maybe *80% better than it was but it's not cured yet and I can't really be bothered! It needs a new Preston loop vaporiser as I suspect the jet thread has been badly cut but I'm not going to go any further with it... at least for a while. Next was the Pelikan. A Chinese Petromax clone that is currently whispering away on the coffee table. It came to me in a poor state and I genuinely thought it would be great for parts but with lock-down time needing to be filled I thought I'd see how far I could go. Just about every chrome plated steel component was severely rusted and it's taken 4 days of intense work to get back to bare metal. I'd guess the fount is roughly 50% chrome and 50% bare steel. The same applies to the collar and frame but the hood was a touch better. Also, the frame rods all fell off and had to be drilled, tapped and screwed back into position. The pricker rod was set a bit to high so I adjusted that and then the aluminum bail screws needed to be re-engineered as they were just plain wrong! After all that I reassembled it, added a Butterfly mantle, filled it with kero, primed it with meths and started her up. Lit first time! It needs a full pre-heat or it flares a bit but it's now been working for about 45 minutes and it although it looks like an utter travesty, it works well and at least it doesn't smell! It even has a working pressure gauge!