Stinky Petromax 829

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Jan 24, 2020.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

when I first got it, it was badly set-up and ran like a dog, but I worked on it for a while and it appears perfectly OK. It's bright, starts easily and holds pressure... but it stinks. It only has to be running for a few minutes and it really smells... I'm sure many of you know that smell.

So, today I changed the pricker and the jet, thinking it might be enlarged, adjusted the J-tube and the fine tuning vane so the fuel/air mix was as good as I could get it..... and it still stinks!

BTW, it's running on 80/20 Amish mix - an attempt to aid full combustion - but that made no difference and I'm stumped.

Has anyone got any ideas what I could try next?

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Colin, in my experience the stink is almost always caused by a tiny fuel leak somewhere. In order of likelihood, from the excenter (control cock) shaft seal, the upper vaporiser jamb nut/joint, the rapid start rubber pip seal or joints, and possibly a tiny flaw/leak somewhere on the upper vaporiser, perhaps where the loop joins or even at the jet seat. Look for a tiny plume of smoke or vapour when the lamp is hot and running in still air, or a tiny flame around the upper vaporiser.

3. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Also try petroleum/kerosene.
    I am pretty sure the designers didn't use 80/20 mix of any kind.

4. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

@WimVe although Amish mix isn't what the lamps were designed to run, it's been very useful on some occasions and doesn't account for the smell as it smelled before.

@phaedrus42 I'm also inclined to think its a tiny leak somewhere - all I have to do is find it! I had previously thought it was a leaking rapid pre-heater jet but I tightened the spring and replaced the rubber seal and fixed that so I'll probably do a dunk test to see if I can see any bubbles.

My 289 is a handsome looking lantern and works well but seldom gets used because of the smell. Ironically, my Sea Anchor has been less trouble!

Off I go to run some more tests!

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Whenever I have had a lamp with that problem, it's been caused by part of the burner being slightly loose, but a small stress crack in any part of the burner or even in the vapouriser would also cause that problem.

The stink means that the paraffin is not being properly vapourised, I would never use a mixture of fuels in a lamp/lantern which does not have a positive shut off valve.

Parts sometimes loosen when the lamp is being used and also when the lamp is cooling down.

Does your lantern dim after it's been on for a few minutes?