Succès swan neck lamp

Discussion in 'Guenet & Abbat' started by Michel, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Michel

Michel Subscriber

hello all
    I am happy to present this Succès lamp which was promise to the trash because of so much troubles.
    1375982563-succesallumee.jpg
    The swan neck was folded, near to fall down. It needed a sleeve and redo the curve.
    the burner was in very sad condition : no knob, and the brass was rotten, so many parts have broken while dismantling. As this burner is a little bit complicated, it was difficult to understand the functioning. It has been necessary to rebuilt some parts
    with the great help of a friend of mine.
    1375982609-bruleursucces.jpg 1375982636-IMG_2067.JPG 1375982679-IMG_2052.JPG 1375982723-IMG_2053.JPG

I know nothing about this model and burner.
    Power is around 150/200 CP, production year : 1920/25 ? by Guenet et Abbat, 13 et 15 rue du Pont aux Choux, Paris.
    When I took the pictures, it was running since 4 hours with only 500 Gr pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Great find and work Michel :thumbup: . The only curved swan neck Succes lamp I can think of is the - No.112 lampe "Col de Cygne". The burner head cowl and probabaly also burner is different though compared to your lamp. Attached you can see the "Col de Cygne" lamp from a 1926 Guenet & Abbat catalogue (comes from Neil)!

/Conny

1375985394-Succes_No._112_lampe__Col_de_Cygne.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Very smart lamp! :thumbup:

4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Another stellar lamp, Michel! Very graceful.

From your description it seems like you put in a tremendous amount of work restoring it to it's former glory. That must make it all the more special.

I'd be interested in knowing more about the operation of this burner. Like your other French lamps, they seem to be quite complex. Adds to the allure though. Interesting how it runs on low pressure.

Also, the shade looks quite nice on your lamp.

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like a Holophane shade on the lamp shown in Conny's picture; this prismatic glass co-invented by a French scientist in the early 1890s. Remarkably, this company is still in business.

Dan

5. Flygt

A major part of great restoration is conserving original finish, well done.

6. Michel

Michel Subscriber

Most of old french lamps (from 1920 to 1930) runs with low pressure (500 gr to 1 kg) , that's also due to the low power of this periode's burners.
    You must not forget people were used to be enlightened only with candles or very little gasoline lamps, therefore this kind of lamp was very bright.

Yes, at this time, there was a lot of ideas developed by many (less or more great) brands. The engineers was very active because of the competition on the lamp's market. Unfortunately, we have no more papers/catalogues for all the products. Some of them have been producted in very small quantity. This were luxury lamps.

By cons, this kind of shade is almost commun in France, because they was usually monted on the city's gas lamps. The city's gas was installed in all Paris center and great cities. One lamp for one floor and some others in the flats. One can find some, time to time.

Conny : I have this catalogue page, but this lamp is only the sister of this one. No round little feet under the fount and not the same burner. We know there has been many production for which we have no papers, perhaps one of those next days

1376077138-bruleursucces.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017