Sunshine Safety Lamp Co. lantern

Discussion in 'Sunshine Safety and Sunshine Products' started by hikerduane, Jan 6, 2021.

1. hikerduane

This lantern does not have a model # per my research, made by Nulite for Sunshine, like the Nulite model 2 lantern. Stamped on frame bottom. Heavy generator, unlike any I have seen, pricker assembly at top of the generator with a wire rod coming up thru the cage bottom to operate the lever, neat feature, plus has the lignting door that swings out to light the mantles, but in my couple times lighting the lantern, you need to preheat the genny with a propane torch so that door may not be the best option or I might add a Tilley butterfly torch. Fount was soaked in a lye bath, does a nice job on both inside and outside. Fount had a tiny leak in the seam, so used POR-15 to seal the fount seam on the inside. Pricker wire was in great shape surprisingly. Clocking is off from what I can see compared to Nulite models, mixing chamber is loose as it can't be rotated another full turn, so that then throws off where the long wire that moves the pricker lever is located, but I turned the wire 180 degrees so the loop on the bottom and be held with two fingers to operate it. The valve shaft tip needed some sanding as there was a little leakage past it. Thought once again I hadn't fixed it, but emptied the fount today, them pressurized the fount, no leak, even after opening and closing the valve. So will see if the lantern can go out by itself when shutdown, it should burn a few more minutes due to the capacity of the generator. Needs a correct height chimney, is next to one for a Coleman.
    Duane
    20210104_172630_opt.jpg
    20201229_150740_opt.jpg
    20210104_162745_opt.jpg
    20210104_162800_opt.jpg
    20210104_163411_opt.jpg
    20210104_163427_opt.jpg
    20210104_163526_opt.jpg
    20210104_163903_opt.jpg
    20210106_085930_opt.jpg
    20210106_085851_opt.jpg
    20210104_164645_opt.jpg
    20210104_164705_opt.jpg

2. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

I believe your Nulite lantern is a StormKing.

3. hikerduane

I think National Stamping made this along with some Nulites. Don't believe it is a Storm King model due to the Sunshine Safety Lamp Co stamping.
    Duane

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That lantern is looking good, Duane. :thumbup:

It certainly looks like my Nulite Model 2 in the Reference Gallery (here).

@Mackburner lists a Nulite Model 2 without a model number under Sunshine Safety in the Pressure Lamp Catalogue.

Cheers

Tony

5. hikerduane

@Tony Press,
    I saw your write up before you posted your lantern here, great photos.
    Duane

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a grand old lantern!:thumbup::thumbup:

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Duane, it's cleaned up nicely, Congratulations. :thumbup:

8. hikerduane

Thank you guys, now I guess I need to check differences if any from the Storm King.
    Duane
    PS: Forgot, first thing is the vent nut, this has the looped nut, not the closed nut for one thing like Storm Kings.

9. Walkop Australia

A good looking lantern.

10. hikerduane

Thank you guys, minimal work cleaning parts. Lye bath for the fount, brass wool rubdown for the rest plus either vinegar or citric acid.
    Duane

11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

One difference is the Storm King has a single mantle, yours has two mantles.

12. hikerduane

Thank you Martin, did not notice that along with the other member.
    Duane

13. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Model 2 is near enough a two mantle Storm King. In Nulite catalogue 76 it is described as "Practically the same as the single mantle Storm King". There are some minor differences shown such as the hanging loop and lack of the heat shield over the central globe cage fitter nut. Also the globe cage support collar is different but Nulite lanterns often have variations of this collar. ::Neil::

!!Nulite 2 .jpg

14. Matty

Duane,

I had a similar problem with trying to get the pricker to clock to suit the pricker rod but also be tight.

What I did was carefully add some copper grease to the thread of the generator that screws into the burner and that worked. I was able to clock the pricker lever to suitable place for the pricker rod to be vertical.

15. hikerduane

@Matty, thank you for the idea. The genny tube looks like it has been wrenched on, so did not try moving it in any direction.
    Duane

16. Matty

[​IMG]

Good mica globes make a huge difference to the aesthetics of a lamp.

17. hikerduane

I have a new chimney ordered from Fred of the correct height. The two shown are the panel less chimney and a new one for lanterns requiring the slightly taller ones.
    Duane

18. Matty

I'm not really a lantern collector. I could probably do with half a dozen or so new mica chimneys. I think $45 is very reasonable for a new chimney. However, when an Australian buys 6 new mica chimneys for $270, when you add postage and the currency conversion it is going to cost around $450+ Australian to buy them and have them delivered. It just gets out of hand.