Swedish hanging lamps

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Lighthouse, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Just picked up these great looking lamps at an auction so I therefor only have pictures of before it's cleaned up. It's very possible Swedish make, but I'm not sure. It looks very familiar with the Lux CXA HassO posted, but this one is quite a lot bigger.

I don't own any old catalogues from Lux or any company that has produced them, so I am hoping someone has information about these 2 lamps.

I is a pain to photograph though :lol: :

1315754858-IMG_2863_-_1.jpg

1315754838-IMG_2852_-_1.jpg

1315754848-IMG_2861_-_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi Lighthouse,

Nice find!!!! :p It got a similar look as the LUX Litt.B but there is not a perfect match. Your lamps seems to be the upper parts of a lamp made by the Swedish company Aladdin AB, that was a hard competitor to the Swedish Lux AB company in the beginning of the 20th century.
    This is an image from a 1907 catalogue from Aladdin AB and shows a portable pressure lamp. The upper part that you show on your porch is identical to the upper part of that portable lamp.

/Conny
    1315764373-Aladdin-1907-.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  3. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi again Lighthouse,

Examining more Lux catalogues I’m not sure of my first opinion. The Litt. B lamp in the Lux 1904 catalogue has a longer cylindrical “neck” down to the lamp glass canopy, but in the 1908 version it’s more or less identical to the lamps you show….....so, it might be a Lux after all!
    Perhaps Mr. Lux himself Christer C. can shed his light of this confusion?

/Conny

1315765603-lux1908.gif

4. Lighthouse

Thx Conny for the research, you're right about that the neck is larger than the Aladdin you posted.

I've measured the lamp, here are the lenghts, hope they are of any help:

1315770191-IMG_2861_-_1_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  5. Lighthouse

(couldn't edit my previous post so I have to make a new post)

Underneath the lamp at the sides the hinge has broken in 2 pieces, so it could be possible that the glas was hold together with it (or an other part of the lamp).

6. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Well, we have the same catalogues, Conny, so I come to the same conclusion as yourself.
    The "B-models" in my catalogue are quite similar to this lamp.
    The difference in chimney size and position of the vents on it can very well depend on the fact that Lighthouse's lamps can be of the other size compared to the one illustrated in my 1908 catalogue. (200 cp vs. 700 cp.)

Good find! Can you show us a burner, or any other interior picture?
    Where was the auction held? If it was in a community that are one of the listed as buyers from Lux, it might add to the confirmation.

7. Lighthouse

Christer, so it is either the Aladdin Conny posted or a Lux Litt. B?
    Are you sure there aren't any more lamps which it could be?

The burner and the glass are gone. I have, however taken a picture of the underside of the lamp:

1315848734-IMG_2864_-_1.jpg

1315848734-IMG_2864_-_1.jpg
    1315848751-IMG_2865_-_1.jpg

1315848764-IMG_2867_-_1.jpg

1315848777-IMG_2868_-_1.jpg

8. Carlsson

You can never be sure when it comes to an unmarked part from a lamp looking like this.
    There were many lamp manufacturers that made similar lamps at this period, but my primary guess would be that this comes from one of the versions of the "Litt. B" or "Litt. J" from Lux.

Most of the "B:s" were meant to be positioned on a post or an arm, but despite that, they still kept the loop on top that you use on lamps meant for hanging.
    The "J" series on the other hand was meant for hanging in that loop.
    Like the "JL" shown here:
    1315855055-jl.jpg

Any of those could be correct for your two remaining tops, even if yours looks a bit "chubbier".
    But this "chubbiness" probably comes from the fact that it seems like the larger semi-spherical domes has been pushed up a bit on the chimney on your lamp tops. Especially on one of them this is quite obvious since you see much more of the white-enamelled reflector sticking out at the bottom.

9. Lighthouse

You're absolutely right, that one must have fallen down onto the ground quite hard. I'll give a try at straighten it out a bit, I just fell for the colour and the industrial looking.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention:
    The auction was held in Kvarnamala, in the Tingsryd Community. It's around 35 km south of Vaxjo.

I hope this confirms it's a Lux, I'd really like to. :mrgreen:

10. Carlsson

You could always try to find some old photos from the railway stations in the communities around there to see which kind of streetlights they used.
    Both Tingsryd and Kvarnamåla had a railway, and Lux was extremely over represented in stations.