Testing spray paint products on lantern hoods

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Jun 27, 2020.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I've finished painting a really rough Bialaddin 300X ready to burn to a crisp to see how long it takes.

IMG_20200624_172609_7.jpg

I've been a bit busy with family staying with us, so I haven't fitted it to a lantern yet... so watch this space...

2. Matty

Colin,

I too have been tinkering around with painting certain hoods. I have cleaned up a couple of Handi lanterns and despite having one perfect hood, the others that I have are all in varying stages of decay. I did the following hood as a test to see if the metal cover paint I use would bond to the enamel. I've found the paint has bonded to the enamel very well. I will now sand the paint back and do a proper spray job.

The paint I use is resistant to 320F heat without baking. I assume the paint won't take the heat of a burning lantern for any length of time. That's fine with me. I just wanted to be able to have a half decent hood to put on the lantern for display. This paint has achieved the result I was looking for. I have zero doubts that cages and collars that are painted with this product will tolerate the heat the cages and collars are subjected to. The fact this paint can withstand cage and collar temperatures and you don't have to bake it is an enormous plus in my books. You don't have to prime prior to painting. You don't need to treat rusted surfaces prior to painting and it has a rust inhibitor additive. The paint is a truly fabulous product.

The paint colour on this hood is pewter. I normally use this colour on base plates. I did use silver and black recently on a Hasag cage. The reason I chose to use the pewter on this hood is because I felt is was the best match to the original colour of the hood.

I will be interested to see how your hood stands up to the heat.

Handipainttest.jpg

3. Emiel

Emiel Netherlands Subscriber

I'm conducting a small experiment as well with a Veritas P350 hood.

I used VHT paint (800°C) from a local cheap stuff store (Action). The hood was sprayed in a single coat without any preparation. While the paint was still wet I installed it on the lamp and lit it for an hour to bake/cure it.

I've given it seven cycles with a total burntime of 15 hours. The paint still looks fine.

20200622_194823.jpg 20200622_194740.jpg 20200622_195129.jpg 20200622_200048.jpg 20200622_205849.jpg
    I will use this lamp regularly this summer and I will keep track of the paint finish.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That looks good, @Emiel . Do they have an equivalent in gloss?

Tony

5. Emiel

The shop only sold the matt black so I went with that. Not sure it other colours are available. There is nothing to be found online about this brand and its products.

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I take it that was a rhetorical question, Tony... ;) :lol:

I think the point here, is that we're looking for some sort of paint that's a reasonable facsimile of what the lantern was wearing when it left the factory. Stove paint, although no doubt a practical solution to the problem of crusty hoods, isn't it. Unless someone can point me to a lantern that was originally finished like that...

Well, with a name of the paint i.e. "Spectrum" and the multi-coloured band at the top of the label, one might reasonably expect other colours to be available, might one not... :-k

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  7. george

george United States Subscriber

They look good... heat is the enemy here! This would be great for a shelf queen. Paint and put on the shelf!
    ;)
    If it's a shelf queen you're not going to lite it anyway.

8. X246A

X246A United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi folks

I’m just wondering what paint was used on the hoods of some of the non Coleman Milspec lanterns?

Regards Jeremy

9. David Shouksmith

:-s :? Such as mine in this thread, Jeremy..?

Thanks Dad...

The 'paint' is vitreous enamel.

It's an interesting lantern, I'm beginning to find and although I don't need (yet) another distraction at the moment, it's gently whispering in my ear. Well, it's certainly making all the right noises, so far... :whistle:

10. X246A

@David Shouksmith

Yours Milspec certainly has a vitreous enamel hood but if I remember correctly the SMP version has a painted hood. Can anyone confirm this for me please?

Regards Jeremy

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@X246A
    Certainly no sign of enamel chipping, Jeremy. A heat-resisting paint that hasn’t resisted the heat all that well.

D9C889F2-70C3-4747-BBBE-89F4FD2FC18F.jpeg

65631137-275D-4A05-ACAF-A9B10F91B4AB.jpeg

09997134-233A-4ABF-893B-434DF721F72B.jpeg

It puts me in mind of the effect I witnessed on the trivet of my Prim Compact gasoline stove.

Pristine here after I’d painted it with Thermacure.

BD102D50-6D87-4562-AC90-AE4BD22E80F9.jpeg

12871E9A-EBE8-4254-8F73-544356EBFEF3.jpeg

Then some of this ...

A56FFBB5-86B9-4B8A-AEB3-AE2C9FF941C7.jpeg

... and the paint on the trivet was looking a bit absent. Holding on at the outer ends of the bars though, which though not getting to red heat would still be at lantern hood temperature I expect.

AC0C0A66-EB2E-4D92-985B-DA23D0E54473.jpeg

John

12. David Shouksmith

Yes, I think there must be two main types of Milspec lantern.

I presume after Pearl Harbo(u)r when the US was brought into WWII, the immediate response was to utilise the various currently available lantern models from a range of manufacturers. Subsequently, the specification for the four-quadrant lantern with aluminium generator was published and production began. I presume there was then some sort of rationalisation process where earlier lanterns were converted to accept the new generator - hence my lantern - to reduce the quantity of different spare parts required.

So you have the Milspecs with quadrant glass which later evolved into the Coleman 252 and the earlier lanterns with conversions to accept the Milspec generator...

13. MYN

@Emiel
    The Spectrum paint looks good so far. As far as what I've seen, all the high temperature VHTs come in matt. They're normally limited to a few colours, namely black, white, grey, aluminium/silver and in some cases, red but all are still matt.
    If its really rated 800°C, I'd say it'll make it. Hood temperatures don't normally get that high, but rather, in the region of 600~650°C at most(from my actual measurements of the zone adjacent to the J-tube of the Petromax). Anything higher and you'll begin to get a dull red glow on the metal. 800°C is sufficiently high to melt most silver brazing alloys.

14. David Shouksmith

From what I remember of stove paint, it always had to be re-applied at intervals. Maybe the modern variety is better, though... [-o<

15. Emiel

@MYN
    I think this matt black really suits this particular model. But for a lamp with a hood that is traditionally enameled with a nice glossy finish it is not the correct solution.

@David Shouksmith I now have 21 hours on this lamp and the single coat of cheap paint looks like it can withstand the heat. But even a quick re-apply between campingtrips would not have been a huge problem for me.

16. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Jeremy, this may help. Spot the SMP painted hood.

Left to right Coleman 252 dated 1952, Armstrong Mil-Spec dated 1977 and SMP Mil-Spec dated 1980.

29 Jun 3 US Mil Spec_1.JPG

29 Jun Mil_Spec hoods.JPG

SMP Hood:

29 Jun SMP Mil_Spec hood.JPG

17. David Shouksmith

I wasn't particularly suggesting that it would be a huge problem - merely that it might have to be done at some point. As you say, no big deal and worthwhile to keep the lantern looking well and protected... :)

18. X246A

@Alex Smith

Thanks for the confirmation, I was beginning to doubt my memory.

Regards Jeremy

19. presscall

You’re welcome Jeremy :roll:

24D92192-1B4C-4F06-B2FC-875BDE9C0E8A.jpeg

20. David Shouksmith

This sums up exactly why hoods aren't generally painted!

You can see why they'd do it in wartime when lanterns would probably be considered pretty much expendable - but not for prolonged use, which is, of course, entirely the point of this thread! :p

21. george

SMP models I don't believe came with an enameled top. They look nice and are worth picking up an example, but... saying that, these lanterns leave something to be desired. Low bidder on the contract and then, "build it cheap" mentality!
    Poor quality material, a bitch to lite, etc.

22. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

@george spot on Sir. The SMP versions, I believe have been built in Prison Workshops.

23. george

@Alex Smith
    Right, Alex. They were built in the state of Kentucky prison system. Let's face it, they weren't interested in "quality control"!

24. presscall

... and @MikeO said,

25. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

Well, the the past I did use high temperature gloss black spray on a rusty top Butterfly hood. Held up for years. The down side is, the surface still behaves like any other spray painted surfaces when cured. Lacks the solid tactile feel of enamel. I did not detect any flaking or any signs of new rust after that. There was one time I chipped one side while trying to get the hot shade off. Sprayed back to touch up that spot, the paint somehow blended itself with the newly sprayed area.

Another lamp I spray painted the brass hood with the usual epoxy clear spray on a Pmax 150. This time was the whole hood. I wanted to preserve the slightly yellowed polished brass look.. The clear coat is still holding up well.

One fail moment was restoring an enameled red top of a 300X.. Red heat resist paint failed miserably, turning from signal read to burnt orange to oxide green and peeling off after that. Vapalux hoods are hotter it seems [-X

26. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

It would be good to see some pics of the brass hood?

interesting what you say about the Vapalux???

27. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

Here's the hood sprayed with clear.
    IMG20200721085146.jpg IMG20200721085135.jpg
    red_fox__bosny_acrylic_clear_spray_paint_400cc_1527551969_1d262c60.jpg
    I use that to coat worn tired painted surfaces. Like this 300X collar, the paint is all intact but lost its gloss. The end result was more of a satin somehow.
    IMG20200721120646.jpg
    I discarded the original all rusted flaking red enamel cowl on this lamp. Replaced with a stainless dish and then to a brass reproduction cowl..

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

IMG_0741.JPG I bought a $6 can of high temp stove paint and sprayed my wood stove with it and it has worked a charm and that stove I'd reckon gets hotter than a lantern.

29. MYN

Perhaps some of the current VHT stove paints might just make it on some hoods. I would certainly love to know if there could be new developments in this area.
    I wouldn't discount the possibility that these would eventually or already a reality.
    However, I've yet to see a glossy, non-vitreous enamel coating product that could trully match up.

30. isfuzzy

isfuzzy Subscriber

Didn't turn out too well on the 300X brass hoods.. But the E41 cowl is not that bad.
    Before and after
    IMG20200723204330.jpg IMG20200723210804.jpg