The colours of Tilley

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Scouter Bill, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Scouter Bill

Scouter Bill Subscriber

Had an interesting question from my partner...

Ignoring the speculum plated/ metal finish lamps, why did Tilley go for a gold colour and then red?
    Any particular reason behind it or was it a case of being the cheapest colour at the time?
    (Also leading to same question about brown and black hoods?)

2. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Hi @Scouter Bill The question of 'Why?' I will have to leave to others, but looks like Tilley stayed with Gold until the X246B when they found red and later the metallic orange.
    Their indoor lamps seem to have cream as an option and black for their industrial lamps.
    I know there are a few other colours, such as pale yellow for Southern Rail.

:-k:-k Maybe the person who knows why knows the mystery of the letters in their date codes :D:D

3. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hmmm... The Gold is about as near to Brass as you are going to get?

Why are most alloy wheels painted Silver? Durability... Lacquering won't last anywhere near as long.

Red is a colour with a strong stimulus factor, so what better colour to choose if sales need a boost, maybe? :-k

Just my tuppenceworth...:thumbup:

regards,
    pb

4. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

For a time at least, for the R1, RH57 and R501 there was an option for soft fawn, cream, white, buttercup yellow, rose red, summer blue, black, clear grey, moss green or sky blue.

In the pamphlet I am looking at, oddly there is no mention of gold.

5. Anthony

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I imagine someone had the bright (sorry!) idea that offering a range of colours might increase sales so they tried it for a while. Presumably it wasn't a success and those odd colours were withdrawn quite quickly after poor sales - I've never seen any although the standard Tilley 'Beige' does seem to appear in slightly different hues so maybe one of those was 'Soft Fawn'.

You missed out the 'Coffee' coloured stands! ;) :lol: - speaking of which...

7. Anthony

Doing google searches on Summer Blue and Sky Blue, they seem to get the same range.

Does anyone here have a colour copy to post ??