This is an "I just don't understand people" post

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by ColinG, Feb 1, 2020.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Just fished this out of the waste metal skip at my local "recycling centre".

Solid copper, tinned inside, riveted brass handle, very likely hand made. What is up with people? Seriously?

IMG_20200201_185253_2.jpg

2. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Colin,

I have to agree with you on what's up with people other then most seem to have opted for the Grey Matter removal with horse manure replacement.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Their loss certainly seems to be your gain. I too am not sure why you would get rid of such a thing.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It never ceases to amaze me what folk chuck out.

5. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Very nice Colin, hope you didn’t have to jump into the skip to retrieve it?

6. ColinG

Well @Jean J you'd be surprised what you can do with a bit of bent metal and some determination!

There was one tiny dent that I carefully tapped out. after a good polish it looks like new and it doesn't look like it's been used much, if at all. The copper was lacquered so it can't have had much use or that would have burnt off.

7. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Induction cooker owner?

8. ColinG

That's a possibility, or maybe just someone with more money than sense. I might have expected this sort of thing back in Surrey, but it's kind of odd here in the highlands - folk generally don't waste useful things like this.

9. MYN

Possibly be a mistake, an accident of sorts.
    I've fished out cash notes from the trash can at times.

10. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I don’t think copper pans will work on an induction hob?

11. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

The jobsworths at the Thurso “recycling centre” wouldn’t let me take the two beat up Tilley X246As out of the scrap metal skip.... I even offered them some beer money.....
    It’s a crazy world. The collage were throwing away some 16mm sound cameras and projectors. I asked if I could have them for a project at an arts charity, absolutely not! They insisted they had to be destroyed as they were “unsafe”...

12. KAB

KAB Subscriber

Anything electrical can only go to a WEEE approved company..... UK law. Paraffin and gas lamps only scrap so may have room to negotiate depending on company policies and staff interpretation

13. ColinG

@BigStevie That's extremely annoying! I'd have been tempted to go back a bit later and take themwhen no-one's looking. Bloody hell, that means they're now crushed and rotting in a landfill somewhere... why? That doesn't make any sense! Modern life sucks!

14. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Yep stupidly abounds in this day and age.

15. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Unfortunately, it’s the throw away society we live in now. When I was growing up, in the country, We always repaired items. If it was thrown away, it was truly buggered with no chance of repair or repurposing.
    Cheers
    Pete

16. KAB

KAB Subscriber

I doubt very much, not many landfills left and metal has a value, chopped into little bits, seperated and melted down

17. JonD

JonD Subscriber

It was my point that an induction cooker would not work with that copper pan but it could be a contributory reason to someone throwing it out.

I would leave the induction cooker at the tip instead. That has lots of copper in it. A copper pan generates no radio interference and has much less to go wrong.

18. Matty

I once went to my local dump and saw a Tilley lantern and Companion stove sitting side by side out in the open near where you dumped scrap metal. The way the two appliances were sitting told me the person that dumped them didn't want them but realised someone else may want them. I thought that was pretty decent of the person that dumped them, he/she could have just tossed them to the back of the pile but no, they actually had an instinct that the appliances may be useful to someone else.

19. ColinG

I've seen the same thing at recycling centres myself... it just depends on the staff in charge of you can 'liberate' them or not. I've resorted to throwing black bin liners over items to disguise what you're doing. Our local place is actually pretty good. The staff don't really mind so long as you don't get to in or do something dangerous and will even help if you ask nicely.

20. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Ha Ha .. It was bought as a wedding present .. so its divorce and it reminds her of him or him of her and all the happy meals they cooked together in it when they were together.. ... No way does he/ she want to see it any more . or to reminded of or be associated with it or her / him . may be her so ......
    '''. skipped :thumbup: .. :shock:

21. ColinG

You could be right Alby!

22. tretrop

tretrop Sweden Subscriber

One have to understand that other people may have to get things done in a hurry. Say that if your house is full and you in a hurry need to clean your dead parents house, since it is going to be sold. That verry stressed mindset is just one of many that will have someone dump even the finest China, old tools and what not. They can not see the value, have no intrest spending time finding out. They need to get it done. Just saying...

23. ColinG

That is absolutely true @tretrop which is why all recycling centers should have a separate area where people can put things that could be used again with one of the guys who works there on hand to filter the real rubbish from the genuine rubbish. That might not be perfect but we need to stop wasting the worlds resources and throwing away perfectly good items. The world has never been through an age such as ours where things are made to break on purpose after a certain length of time and items are thrown away for no good reason.

Sometimes I think I don't fit very well in modern society :(

24. tretrop

tretrop Sweden Subscriber

I was at the recycling station the other day. Ops, can I have that? And I could, so now I have a Burges benchtop bandsaw!
    Never seen any lamps or stoves, but who knows, one day?

25. KAB

KAB Subscriber

The recycling sites in East Sussex have 'reuse shops'

26. ColinG

Excellent to know some recycling centres are moving in the right direction.

27. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    We have very good “reuse” shops at our recycling centres here. I’ve picked up some fine stoves and lamps at them, and I store many of my parts in filing cabinets bought there.

Tony

28. BigStevie

Well, having bad mouthed the centre at Thurso, yesterday the guy there helped me retrieve some packets of hardware and a coil of tinned copper wire from the metal skip. Sorry Thurso!

29. ColinG

Shame they couldn't have had their change of heart when you found the Tilleys. Still, it's a good result. Can I ask, what was in the packets?

The copper wire will definitely be useful making generator coils!

30. BigStevie

Some little blister packs including, corner brackets, repair plates and some machine screws....