This is why I use aftermarket globes

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Buggerlugs, May 18, 2022.

1. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

Hello all, this is to show new members why we or I use aftermarket globes whenever possible.
    This is actually the first time I've cracked a globe on a working lamp, before you ask the question yes I've lite and used lamps hundreds of times and never had a problem.
    Now I've heard it said on this Forum lots of times about a mantle that has a hole in it can crack a globe hmm? Okay I said to myself these guys know what they are talking about so it must be true right?
    My reasoning behind this is if one person says so well that's hearsay, but two or more then the credibility starts be be more realistic get my point?
    Now fast-forward a couple or so years, yesterday I was doing a fettle on a Tilley X246 Guardsman, all was good just a straight forward seal change, pressure check, and a burner clean and of course a new mantle.
    The mantle which I used by the looks of it was a cheap maybe Chinese one, not sure where it came from, but nothing wrong with it, no holes why use an NOS one right?
    All was going according to plain, then I noticed the vaporiser was inlarged, so I replaced it of course, as I released the pressure the globe got kerosene all over the inside and so I cleaned it off, all good time for a relight cool running nice now no problems, about 10 or so minutes later I decided to take some photos hmm what's that round looking rainbow thing on the globe?
    I'm thinking in my head oh maybe its from the kerosene and I didn't clean it properly or its my finger print ect?
    Wrong wrong wrong then you guessed it I hear that sound that so many of us have heard, (me for the first time). Crack ting crack.
    Bugger I knew I should have done something about it, but my brain was too slow, tired or couldn't be bothered checking it out, as this was at the end of the day and we were going to our community dinner at Recovery Church and time was running out, in a hurry as my wife was saying come on it's time to get ready, I'm not blaming her either or am I hmm?
    No just joking it was my fault anyway.
    After dinner and Church when I got home I thought I would look at the lamp and replace the globe (in my head I'm still thinking of reasons why it cracked I've got it now of course it's a faulty globe) wrong on all accounts.
    So here is what happened as stated above the mantle did have a hole in it, which I'm told all the heat goes to that one spot, (if I have explained it incorrectly someone will correct me, which is fine) and crack there goes your globe.
    So here are some photos and the moral of this story is if you see something that looks not quite right check it out or crack goes your globe and lamps shouldn't have rainbow's.
    20220519_070954.jpg 20220519_071002.jpg 20220519_071014.jpg
    Thanks if you made it this fare.
    Here is the lamp in action.
    20220518_155306.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  2. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

Thank you for sharing.
    I had the same mishap with a Geniol 150.

Gilles

3. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

4. Buggerlugs

Buggerlugs Australia Subscriber

@AussiePete Lucky it was an aftermarket globe that I picked up for $25 bucks here it is on my lamp still, so not a total waste.
    20220519_183458.jpg
    So far that is.