Tilley Al10

Discussion in 'AL10' started by Matthew92, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

A nice example of an Al10, has the brass button on the pricker control. I'm not sure if the hood, reflector, mica shade or a combination of those parts are right, the air button is hard against the reflector. It's as I got it though.

IMG20200419144132.jpg IMG20200419144124.jpg IMG20200419144117.jpg IMG20200419144144.jpg IMG20200419144138.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Australia Subscriber

Jims book says that is how they were.
    Yours must be an early one with the brass button and the screw holding the wooden handle on.
    The pressure pip is a long way down too.

I thought the early ones did not have the ring on the bottom.
    Seems there are 3 versions of the AL10.

Good lamp Matthew.
    You must be pleased.:thumbup:

3. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Another lovely old Tilley. What is 5he fascination with these lamps? Whatever it is, I can’t get enough of it! Thanks for sharing, only a bit jealous......

4. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@Anthony

Perhaps this one is from the change over, when they started fitting the wide rim but hadn’t yet done away with the brass button.:-k I’ve got another that has the usual black button, I shall sit them side by side and see if I can find any differences.

@BigStevie

I don’t know, but you’re right. I struggle to get my fix of lamps these days, I’ve got most of the easier to get items and some of the harder to get ones. But you never know what will turn up next and at the moment everyone will be taking the time to clear the rubbish out, so when the car boots open again there’ll be rows of jacobean and vase lamps everywhere.[-o<:lol:

5. Anthony

@Matthew92 :thumbup:.
    Can you put an AL15 in there with them too please.

6. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Really? :-k ..Or.. sitting at the bottom of the container at the recycling, waiting to have the washing machine tipped on 'em? ..:twisted:

7. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@Anthony

There's no shortage of Al15's around here, maybe not fully complete ones but still.:lol::lol: Then there's the Al16 two Al15a's and the Al10's. Ok, I think I have a problem.:whistle:
    IMG20200420142006.jpg
    @podbros

You're probably right, I hate to think what's been skipped over the years.:(

8. Anthony

A good list Matthew.
    Two AL10s is realy something to sing about.

The AL15 is of course for size comparison.

9. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Here we are, I took the vapourisers and burners off so we can see the main parts easier. I can't really see much different between the two of them, the pressure tit is fractionally lower on the older one but that could be down to the manufacturing process. Holding the bases together the fuel pipe is a bit longer on the later one which would explain why the hood fits better.

IMG_20200420_143348.jpg IMG_20200420_143406.jpg IMG_20200420_143332.jpg IMG_20200420_143258.jpg IMG20200420142845.jpg IMG20200420142841.jpg IMG20200420143015.jpg IMG20200420143020.jpg IMG_20200420_143317.jpg IMG20200420143935.jpg

Plus with an Al15 for comparison

IMG_20200420_143431.jpg IMG_20200420_143420.jpg

10. Anthony

Thanks Matthew.
    Isn't it strange they changed the side for the pump.
    I wonder if there were also left and right for pumps and/or cocks. :-k

Mine has a small D on it.
    IMG_3352.jpg

11. podbros

Wow! .. Thanks @Matthew92 those are fab pics and great to see the differences between lamps through the years!:thumbup:

@Anthony ..you mentioned the pressure pip being low, and it is very close to the shoulder... I was wondering if the AL10 tanks were similar in size to the VL 1 / Vase Table Lamp tank at all? The pressure pip on some of them are also close to the shoulder?..:-k

It's not always easy to judge the size of things from photos, hence these pics showing lamps next to each other really help to understand some of the subtle changes that went on and maybe also to build a bigger picture.

12. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Great finds!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

13. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

@Matthew92 Nice line up, on the carpet too.... I think this is one of the endearing things about collecting Tilleys, all the production information appears to have been lost/hidden/destroyed, so makes for lots of detective work and supposition. There’s so much to learn and to find out....

14. Anthony

I was hoping Matthew answered your question before I got home from work. :)
    I don't know. I don't have a VL or even seen one.
    I have assumed they probably are the same size but Matthew would answer better.

Right on.:thumbup:
    Size perspective should be considered more often.

15. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Sweden Subscriber

Definitely one for the wish list! Excellent pictures.

16. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@Anthony

I’m not sure why they changed the pump from the left to the right when they made the Al15. From a right handed persons view it makes sense to have the pump on the right as in the Al15, having used mine I hold the handle with my left hand and pump with the right with the mantle pointing away from me. I’ve not lit an Al10 yet but I feel it would be a bit awkward. I had a look at mine where yours has a “D” but mine are both without.

@podbros

You are correct that the Vl1 and Al10/15 tanks are similar. The tube used for the main body as far as I can tell will be the same just cut different lengths. The cap in the base will as most certainly be the same across the range and I’m fairly sure that the top caps of my Vl1’s are the same as those on my Al15’s. The only difference there is the pump is slightly lower on the Vl1 as was shown here by @Ian Bingham. The Al10 top caps are slightly more rounded than the Al15 which have sharper edges which is why I say the Vl1 shares the cap with the Al15. That’s not to say that the earlier Vl1’s didn’t share the Al10 cap just that all my Vl1’s are later.:doh::lol::lol: Terrible problem to have right there. Hope all that makes sense.

@Lighthouse

Glad you like it.:thumbup:

17. podbros

Thanks Matthew,
    I thought they looked similar..you can never be sure unless you can compare models side by side..
    It would have made sense to Tilley to use what was available at the time, although, as well they do seem to have made specials and short runs, altering small details to suit a particular model.

Well done on finding them in such good nick and thanks for sharing :thumbup:

18. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I would take a photo of a Vl1 tank next to them as well, but you'll understand my not wanting to go handle those too much.](*,):lol:

@BigStevie

I almost missed your post above. I made sure no one else was around when I lined them up on the carpet. I can get away with a lot but still have to be careful.:lol:
    :lol:

19. podbros

:shock: ..=;.. No! I wasn't asking for that! ...Phew!...
    I meant that as they are your lamps, then you can assess things from there? I hope you didn't take that the wrong way...

20. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

@podbros

Not at all, I'm just joking around.:lol: We always have an almost military operation here when I need to handle them just to dust them. We dusted a load of my lamps a couple weeks ago and my mum said we'd need to do the vase lamps too. I looked at them and said they'll be fine for another 12 months.:D

21. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I don't have an AL10 so here's an AL15 next to a VL tank. AL tank approx. 180mm, VL tank approx. 350mm.

IMG_2559CR.JPG

22. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Nice one Henry, now all we need is a picture of the vase. ;)=P~

23. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Now you tell me. It's back on its high shelf, the step ladders put away and furniture put back where it belongs. I've no intention of going through all that rigmarole again anytime soon, so here's a link to one that's very similar. I say "similar" because I don't know how tall it is.

Green Tilley VL

24. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    My hood sits much more comfortably with the hook for the globe wire facing the reflector (soon to be posted it the Reference Gallery).

Cheers

Tony