Tilley AL15A Railway Inspection Lamp

Discussion in 'AL15-AL15A-AL16-AL620' started by jonathan fairbank, Feb 27, 2015.

1. jonathan fairbank

Hi All,

Though I have two completely finished, I'll just picture one here in the gallery isles. I'll post the 'duo' together, when I look into how it's done again ?!

I started this one pictured, quite a while back now & eventually managed to get both the Cowls re-enamelled, after "much a do" travelling to a firm in Bradford.

1425004259-DSCN2794.JPG

The Cowl shown was a lot heavier than the other two's, it must have been thicker graded steel & ya can just make out some of the pitting that I'd tried to blend about, with emery cloth ?

1425004479-DSCN2783.JPG

It looks pretty good, the Cowl & all way round the lamp; it's just a bit of a let down with the few dimples on the tank & then the decal's just a bit raggerty (not too bad though, the other one's in better nic, it's just no decal affixed, so am looking into this; any offers, please PT a.s.a.p. as this would be fabulous news if these can still be made) :thumbup:

I'll load what more there's left . . .... . 1425004742-DSCN2791.JPG

1425004876-DSCN2796.JPG

Then the decal close up . . .

1425005009-DSCN2803.JPG

Well, I hope this was an enjoyable lamp to see & admire; I finally got the work completed & achieved a lot more than I'd expected too.

Fred Kuntz helped me with new mica's, both excellent . . . . :content: .

Cheers,

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've not seen one of these with an enamelled hood - mine are painted silver.

You didn't fancy going for the original paint on the tank, then? Ford Crystal Green is almost an exact match.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's restored well! :thumbup:

4. jonathan fairbank

I read the Halfords "crystal green" tip, I think from last year, then as I'd just been looking at some of the newer AL's attributed here in CPL, noticed the same again.

It's an excellent match, if it can also be sealed over with some tougher lacquer. The history of the few different colour schemes, afforded these lamps, would be better followed & kept too. I just made a quick decision, to brass it & try leaving the decal still intact the best I could.

It's not blinged out sickeningly, I think it still looks quite regal & decent but given a decal was obtainable when I started it, my choice would have been to run with the original set colours (red & cream, or the green/ grey).

Having done the majority of the clean up in black (work stand, hand shield plate, handle bracket & reflector mount), it was the simplest colour to stick with, just with concern to the cowls finish & how it would all gel together.

I had three enamelled in the gloss black, I steered away from VHTP, because it was way too dull; I'm now happy I waited, this enamelling will see the lamp stays in better condition, for longer; the other reason I held back from a quick finish !

Of course, it's possible this has been applied before on other lamp cowls or areas hit by heat or the incremental weather, but I also just liked the idea of it.

Here's the pair of 'em . . . ..

1425063394-DSCN2766.JPG

1425063489-DSCN2760.JPG

"My evening Sentinels" . . . . "like Geese on a river bank, always facing up stream" . . . .

'Poetic license run lose there . . . :lol:

Jon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  5. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

A pair of fine examples of your exquisite restoration work, Jon.
    Your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me. Nice photography too.

The decision of how to complete a restoration and to what level of originality can sometimes be difficult. I think you made some admirable choices here. The black enamel stands out nicely from the brass and you did a fine job working around the decal. It would indeed be nice to find a source for some reproductions of these.

Fred did an excellent job on the mica. Really makes the lanterns stand out. He is truly a craftsman.

Keep up the nice work,
    Dan

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A neat pair! :thumbup:

7. Rangie

Rangie United Kingdom Subscriber

Nicely done!

Alec.

8. Claus C

These lampe are sweet. There is nothing hidden in the Construction behind plating or garnish and yet they look so nice. I would fancy such one - one fine day.

Claus C

9. jonathan fairbank

Hi Dan,

Ta, for this praise :thumbup: .

They did take a very long time though, but what I'd like to do now is also find a Track Work Stand for the steel AL620. That model would look much grander assisted with such, as well as offering it more protection & height.

The decal trimming didn't look so bad when I first fettled it, way back. I'd gone all way around the decals framing with what I thought was permanent marker but then found out whilst recently polishing it again, that it wasn't (Brasso blew it . ..) :roll:!

Still neat enough, but some new repro's would be nicer.

Cheers,

Jon :-k .

10. jonathan fairbank

Yes Claus, it's just plenty of effort in the prep work, then if you haven't your own vitreous enamelling factory . . . ..

.. . . . . finding one that will ?!

I'm looking for a Co. that'll hopefully manage delivery & acceptance, via the postal service; companies through out the UK.

Should any one already know of a good Company, please let on about this. The Co. I visited don't really want the work & would only continue doing the "black" hoods or items, if I brought along less then 5 each time.

Go for it Claus, get started on one your own AL, the cost were only a fiver each. I'd rather have paid 20 a piece, if they'd have taken more care; it's unfortunate that pride in workmanship isn't as prevalent as it used to be, UK -wise !

Jon.