Tilley BR49 leaks out from pressure Pip

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Darryl Durdin, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

Hi fellas, this is my BR49 that fell from a great height, I’ve bent it back into shape, new globe and new seals just for good measure, as they take a bit of time to get going I noticed when I pressurised the tank fluid and bubbles appeared, at the pressure pip, is this the end of my tank, I can replace it,
    Would the sudden jolt break/ crack the bellow inside, it has appeared so, any suggestions much appreciated 4D0DE55C-1A5D-4E38-B453-3D78ADA47D60.jpeg 234663F3-9944-4035-BB9E-B01C78FC65B9.jpeg image.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I’d give it time to resolve itself, insofar as the tumble would have projected fuel into the top of the tank and on subsequent pressurising, a residue bled through the pin/boss joint.

3. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

Thank you @presscall , I will keep an eye on it, doesn’t seem to loose pressure fast

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Darryl

Put a bit of engine oil in the pressure indicator while the pip is low.

Cheers

Tony

5. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

I would concur with the watch and wait approach. If all else fails you can solder it shut.

6. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

The tank would need to be quite full of fuel for it to be ejected via the pressure indicator; if it is high, maybe reduce it to below the bellows and see what happens when re-pressurised

7. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Or upside down following Daryl’s mishap when the shelf it sat on or was suspended from collapsed. Even with no pressure in the tank the fuel would have percolated through, gravity-fed.

8. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

Possible, of course. But the diaphragm (or another part of the indicator) would need to fracture, the fuel would then need to pass through the fracture - more likely if there was pressure in the tank. And the fuel must not have passed back through the fracture when uprighted.

If the tank is now pressurised with low or no fuel, it should become apparent whether somehow fuel/oil that was long-time within the sealed indicator is emerging. Or whether there pressure indicator is leaking to and from the tank.

Assuming it was fine before the fall, my guess is that there was some oil in the indicator (maybe someone freed a seized rod?) that shifted when the tank was upside-down. If so, it will stop.

9. ROGER BAKER

ROGER BAKER Subscriber

Hello Darryl. I think it safe to say we all like the indicators when they work correctly. Sadly I have had a few that weep due to some minor leak on the soldering on the diaphragm. A good jolt from the fall perhaps, may have disturbed the neck of the stem where it has a soldered joint into the disc. I think it's also possible that they perish with age, and we can disturb them cleaning the crud out. Below is one I removed from a beyond hope tank a while ago. Maybe seeing the design might help. I have used Holts/Plastic padding "Super Steel" to block the hole a few times rather than solder. Works well but you need to clean and graze the inside surfaces of the pip to ensure a bond. Cheers, Roger

Attached Files: